Computer only starts when hot, otherwise it is a pain to turn on, . . .

jimmy1541

Solid State Member
you have to keep pressing the button and sometimes can't get it on without wigging boards, maybe. Kind of hard to describe since I'm describing it second hand.

But when it's hot it turns on, otherwise when it's cold it seems like it's on but nothing appears on the screen either with a video card or with on-the-motherboard video. I tested the memory and it tested good.

I think it's a power supply or maybe the motherboard?

Hot? Cold? Wigging boards? What do you mean?

Any error message?

Doesn't turn on when cold, referring to the temperature of the computer. If you turn it on when hot it will turn on, when cold it's really hard. You have to keep pressing the power button and sometimes it doesn't turn on until I open the computer and wiggling boards around. But that was just one time I did that. It's not my computer I built it for my friend because he didn't want the computer I bought him, which is what I use now.

Forget about the "wigging" or wiggling of boards. I think I just confuse the matter mentioning that.

But how could it be hot if it was switched off? You mean like leaving it in a warm room without AC, etc.?

But how could it be hot if it was switched off? You mean like leaving it in a warm room without AC, etc.?

When the computer is hot from being on, it turns on.
Example: you use it for 4 hours and turn it off and then turn it back on in 1 minute, it turns on.
But if you use it for 4 hours and turn it off and leave it sitting for 4 hours it does not turn back on.

In the first scenario, when it turns on it is what I call "hot".
In the second scenario, it is what I call "cold".

It's a temperature sensitive break. Could be a cracked circuit trace or a loose connection. When it gets warm it expands and makes contact. When cooled off the break opens and requires bending the board for it to make contact.
Let labour under the assumption it's just a loose connection. Simple to fix.
Unplug all connections one at a time. That includes any add in cards. Unplug it and plug it right back in. Don't remove the cpu from it's socket. I've never seen one have to be removed.

If that doesn't work then it's a sure bet it's a broken trace on one of the boards. Impossible to fix since most computer boards are multi layered. The broken trace could be in any of the layers.

Let us know how the unplug/plug back in works out.

Did you overclock?

Do you have any data (VCORE, etc.)?

What is your calculated power requirement and what PSU do you have?

And again, any error message to show?

It's not overheating. His use of the terms hot and cold was confusing but he explained what he means in post 5.
Hot to him is normal operating temps.
Cold is its been off long enough to cool off from running.

When the computer is hot from being on, it turns on.
Example: you use it for 4 hours and turn it off and then turn it back on in 1 minute, it turns on.
But if you use it for 4 hours and turn it off and leave it sitting for 4 hours it does not turn back on.

In the first scenario, when it turns on it is what I call "hot".
In the second scenario, it is what I call "cold".

Slightly off topic, but if it wont turn on when cold, how did you get it switched back on in the first place?

On topic, there is no real logic that I can see other than a lose part maybe? I cant see it being a connectors issue as the machine would have to be quiet warm for parts to expand etc. Id say, strip it down to the bare bones and build it again (if you know how to do that). Dont rule out the monitor connection either

Or. you could put a roll of roof insulation around the computer to keep it nice and warm, going online must be a pain in the winter!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom