Computer not turning on part II

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Okay so some of might remember I made a similar thread a couple days ago.

I have a computer that will not turn on. When I hit the power button absolutely nothing happens. No fans, no drives, no nothing.

I tested the PSU by replacing it, and that didn't do anything. It's not the memory, video-card, or cpu, or hdd as those would all produce beep codes, and the computer would at least try to POST.

I was left with assuming it was the power button, and the wiring behind it. But I tested this by swapping out the switch and its wiring. This didn't work, and to make sure i was doing it right I swapped out the switch on another working computer and I was successful. So that is not the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that it's the motherboard. But thats highly unlikely and usually you'll get some kind of response from the computer. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

Yeah, I agree with the others. It really sounds like a MOBO problem. I don't know what else it could be. If it was the CPU, I'm sure it would give you a beep code as well, so it's obviously not that.

I thought you would get some kind of response even if the mobo was dead, am i wrong in thinking this? I do see a little green light on the mobo, but I guess thats really only indicative of it receiving power. It doesn't necessarily mean it is properly functioning.

Sounds like a mobo, I agree. There are so many things that could go wrong with the mobo, it's hard to tell. It could be something as simple as the power button pins not working.

speaking from my experience, all 4 dead motherboards ive had started up, fans spinning etc.

besides the motherboard being dead, all i can suggest is that the switch is in the wrong place (dont mean to offend your knowledge or anything :)) or its connected to the wrong pair of jumpers.

what you can do, is take a screwdriver or something metal and small, and put it between the two jumpers to "short" them - you only need to make a connection for a second or two since thats all it will take - no need to hold it there. That should tell you if it was the switch or not :)

True Bryn, I'd also like to add to that to take the m/board out of the case and start it, a stand off shorting the board can produce this type of response.

@OP, remove the board from the case, lay it on the box it came in, hook up the power, remove the ram, video card, hdd and boot by shorting switch pins (as above). Ensure you have the case speaker connected so you can hear any beeps produced.

The above config should (repeat should) give you a beep code for no ram, if you get this then add ram and reboot, that should give beep code for no vga, insert card and reboot etc until either it works or you find the faulty component.

Check the stand off in the case, count them and make absolutely sure you have the correct amount in the correct locations.

Check power lead (wall socket to psu) as this may also be faulty (someone recently on a different forum had this problem and it turned out to be that lead)

If all this produces no result RMA the board

Back
Top Bottom