Computer not recognizing my cd/dvd-roms

Status
Not open for further replies.

boardjockey

Beta member
Two days ago, out of nowhere, my cd/dvd-roms stopped being recognized by my computer. They are listed in the device manager but have the yellow exclamation point beside them. When I attempt to pull them up it says "Windows cannot initialize the device driver" Code 37. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no help. Also, the headphone outs on my soundcard have also stopped functioning. I am computer savvy and have tried everything I know. It seems to be a driver issue...Microsoft 5.1.2535.0, but I can't find a replacement and do not have my OS CD. My business depends on my computers running smoothly. Please help.

hmm... first I was wondering if you've overclocked anything or changed settings in the BIOS? Also, I know you've said you've tried everything you can think of, but did you do a system restore? If it only stopped recognizing it after a certain date, maybe you can save what you've done since then, and restore it back to that original date. It just seems weird that it was working, and now it is not out of nowhere.

Might wonder about viruses too. You can get a free online scan here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
It just does the scan online, so it is always updated. Might have to download something small though.

As embarrased as I am system restore was not on. Just because I've tried everything I know doesn't mean I haven't missed something. Any suggestions at this point are good ones.

To isolate it to being either hardware or software, boot off of your Windows CD in each drive. Dont reinstall windows or anything.

If the CD boot was successful than Windows would be at fault. If there is problems outside of Windows, then it is probably a hardware problem.

I fixed it via CDgone. It ended up being a registry issue that wouldn't allow the drivers to load. Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom