The network in my office is working for all but 2 computers. The packets are sending but not recieving. I know this is screwy. Basically, all but the 2 can connect to the net. anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?
whoops, sorry about that. DHCP. They are only managed workstations. They all run off of Windows XP pro, and they were just reformatted. I reinstalled everything the same way I had before. They worked for a month, then just stopped. I turned off the XP firewall since we have a firewall built into the network. I have done the following:
1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).
2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.
3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.
4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.
5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)
6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.
7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.
8. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
None of that seems to help. I even tried changing the CAT5 cables.