Computer issues

gajuhi

Beta member
I have an old Compaq Presario 1200 and of course, the power cord is broken on the motherboard. The computer has been sitting for a while and I realize that now there are ways to get the data off it. My problem is how do I do this? As I said, it is a broken computer and will not turn on at all. We have soldered the power cord and it had the light indicator on but it is still not running.
The computer is not important but the photos are. I would like to access the data and transfer it to my working desktop. I have done some research on external hard drives but before I spend the money I would like to know if it possible to do this.
Does the computer have to be on in order to do this?
Is there a way to temporarily turn on the computer just to get the pics?
Should I just get the external hard drive?
If so, where do I get one? Can it be anyone?
I am new to this forum and I am not computer savvy. I just want my photos.
Compaq Presario 1200 Model #1456vqlin

I know that there is a way to piggyback one hard drive to another but this computer is an old one and it does not match the hard drive of any other computer I own.

PLEASE HELP

Okay I am optimistic! I measured the ribbon port on the broken computer and it is 2 inches. I am working on a guess here, but the measurement of the Vantec is 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" range, Correct? So will this still work or will I need to get one that has the range of 2 inches?
Sorry it is a laptop. It has the windows 98 operating system in it just to demonstrate how old it is.

It doesn't matter what the ribbon port is, what will matter is the connector on the back of the hard drive. I'm not sure since it's so old, but I have a similar adapter as the link and have never had a problem hooking up a laptop hard drive. Could you take the hard drive out and post a picture of it on here?

The adapter I posted is compatible with all SATA, 3.5" IDE and 2.5" IDE. That laptop should have a 2.5" IDE drive in it so you won't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom