Computer help Frezzing alot

yep:)

Bit weird though that it has just had a reformat and is still going slow, though its not the fastest system around anyway, and Windows SE isn't the most stable operating system of all time.

If you were going to update soon, I wouldn't bother buying windows xp for that machine until you get your new one (you'd probably buy from a manufacturer i'm guessing? in which case, windows XP home would probably be installed with it anyway)

If you weren't going to update so soon, I'd then think of doing something to that PC, though its probably not worth it as you could get a whole system now for less than 500 quid that would be 10 times if not more better than that one!

And as for that system :p That is kind of like the first one I had... like 7 years ago, hehe:

AMD- K6(tm)3D processor - I had a 200Mhz one, don't know what yours is from that, and I had a old Voodo 3D card, and if I can remember correctly, about 32 megs of RAM so at least you beat my first system there :D

Oh and as for the disk cleanup thing is concerned, its good you've been doing that, and as for disk defrag, i'd run it from Acessories, System Tools as soon as possible.
It might get things going a bit more smoothly for you (though its just been reformatted, it probably won't need it that much, but you never know how it was formatted).
I would do this in safe mode, but since it doesn;'t like you, try closing off as many programs as possible and runnning in normal windows then and see how far the process gets and hopefully it'd help, though i'd seriously consider quickly booting into safemode and jus running it over night. It might work wonders for your slow machine :p

i hope this helps :)

I have xp on a laptop that has a pentium 2 at 300mhz and 96megs of ram...
The standard for xp is 128 megs of ram and a 300mkz proccesor. That k-6 you have should start at 500mhz and you said that you have 256 ram...someone is lieing to you . It will not be fast but it will work and all that...

Actually, the K6 I had was 200mhz, but I get what your getting at. Her computer would definitely run it, though how fast i'm not sure.
I know that'd it be faster than Windows 98, and stabler too (if for instance, speed wise ,you took the XP themes away, and the advanced effects to fake an earlier windows version).

Though I'm saying it might not be worth it if she'll be getting a new computer soon with Windows already pre-loaded.

Im reply to lurkswithin ...
Yeah that's it its like 500mhz, im sure.
But know no ones lieing to me, I trust my bro and our friend, i/we got a few friends in I.T, and they said I could'nt be sure it might run as I need/want I to, but just, ive got a lot of programs going also and im a game geek, so I play games on there, so I just don't see the point of putting xp on this comp, when I can(when I got anof moola) to get another comp, coz I need to update my system badly, its over 3 years old and as you can tell really outdated, I want to do much more stuff on a comp than I can with this one I got now, you wouldn't belive…
But you i do appreciate everyones help very much so, so thank you :D

Now reply to Kage:

I agree with you I'll wait till I get a new comp.
Im looking around for computer from retail shops etc somewhere so yeah it would come with xp, but I got another question(well to anyone who knows) about Xp whats the difference between Xp home ed or Xp pro?

Yeah I no my comps old, tell me about it, the only reason I have it is coz I was starting off with a ..well crap computer, I didn't have much choice in the matter :rolleyes:

Thanks so much kage for your help, ya so helpful :D with everyone too

Yeah, no point dishing out money for a copy of XP now, when your saving up for a new PC that would have it anyway :p

The difference? Well... only a few things are different to tell the truth. A few settings have been added, and some reletivly useless programs are added (you wouldn't use them in your life) for businesses with extra needs like linking PC's and extra Security programs for that kind of thing too.

This is basically more on it :) :

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

As you can see, you probably wouldn't use the extra features, as Home is meant for home use (for people who usually just want a working PC)

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom