Computer help Frezzing alot

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
Yeah i know what your prob thinking " o no another computer help "
So yeah here it is :rolleyes:

Im not tooo bad with computers, im alright but nowhere near have as much knowledge as most of you so...

My computer is being a butt has been for a while, i cant blam it really its not the best comp, really slow(if you want to no more just ask eg ram etc)

My System resources is :57% and not even doing much on comp, thats real bad if im right?
Its frezzing up *alot* still, since i had to pay to get it fixed as the drivers were missing for some reason or corrupted. I got the 'blue screen of death'(if thats the right term) so yes i have crappy 'ol win 98. But im still getting that screen sometimes, so in all that i use the reset botton alot.

My question is 1. Do you think my comp will still keep working 'just' for a while, like workable on(lol dont think thats a word but you no) till i can get anof money to get a much much better one

and 2. Any help ?? Like any suggestions on what you think

Hope i explained that well anof since its really late 1.00 am yes i no late( cant sleep

Newho ..thanks for you help and time :D

run disk defragmenter, if you have any spy-ware or ad-ware software run that too. that should spped up your coputer a bit. as long as you don't to too much on your computer i think you will be fine.

It's only 11am here,lol.

Hmm workable... it depends if what you have now is what you'd call 'Workable'...

What processor, RAM do you have?

First try running Disk Cleanup from Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and let it remove what it finds (none of this is important, though if it finds any 'Old Compressed Files', or 'Compressed Files', take the tick off them) and this will clean up your system no end (if you've never used this, it might take a while)

Next you need to run 'Scan Disk'. In Windows 98, this should again be in System Tools, though after it crashes, this would probably run anyway.

Then run Disk Defrag which is a good thing to run and might just give it the kick it needs as it defrags the whole drive and stores everything where it needs to be to make it easier to access data.
Find this in Programs, Accessories, System Tools too :)

Note that it might take a while... especially if you've never used it before (approx, a few hours, or more since it seems like a slow PC :p So leave over night).
It might also work best if you put it in Safe Mode (f8 at bootup, and select Safe Mode from the list), and then run Defrag as it has more access to resources to do its job.

Hopefully these will speed the computer up for a little while, though nothing would speed it up more than a full format and re-install of windows, since your computer seems to have took a good old beating :p

If you were to want to format then re-install, you'd of course have to back up first, and you could do this by use of external drives (Like music players), or well...I guess you won't have a CD recorder, though if you do, this would also be a good option.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks Kage, sorry i didnt reply sooner, posts get lost ...

Ill try that even tho i do those Disk Cleanup , Disk clean up etc..
Ill just do those everyday...

*It might also work best if you put it in Safe Mode (f8 at bootup, and select Safe Mode from the list), and then run Defrag as it has more access to resources to do its job.*
Thanks didnt no that, might have something to do that the fact is that i hate safe mode, it just does'nt like me :mad:

*full format and re-install of windows, since your computer seems to have took a good old beating*
Thats also the thing is why i very much need a new comp, not long ago like last week or something like that i got it formated and thats when the guy put in other stuff like 'wind 98 plus' etc. So im sure he did a great job with everything.

oh dear...i think it has a beating tho, i check my receipts from my comp and its last a good time really 3 years :eek: And it was my first prober comp... Ill see how it goes tho...

Also thanks everyone for all ya help :D

You need to post what your system has....sometimes there just might be a different route to achieve something better. I personally would suggest a more friendlier operateing system than 98SE such as xp and this could be achieved rather cheaply...Post your specs and let us have a look then>>

lurkswithin said:
You need to post what your system has....sometimes there just might be a different route to achieve something better. I personally would suggest a more friendlier operateing system than 98SE such as xp and this could be achieved rather cheaply...Post your specs and let us have a look then>>

Whats route mean? sorry to ask im dont know too much about computers bits and pieces tho...

Xp oh yeah i want that, im much rather have xp, trust me, just my computer wont handle it, so thats why its better off to get the hole hog eg: Motherboard, ram, etc you get the idea.

Now im guess specs mean everything so here it goes:

Os :wind 98 se or plus? dont no if its bother since someone else has fidled around with the os etc...
Now this i dont fully understand of my system:
It say in my computer, control panel, system:
Authentic AMD
AMD- K6(tm)3D processor
and RAM 240MB
All i no its very slow comp
If you need more just ask

Ok, I can see that you could actually install xp on that computer without an issue at all. It will not be the fastest thing but you could use it on what you now have. I don't know what your money situation is but without the knowledge, I would strongly recommend a branded computer such as dell or hp or gateway. As their deals are very hard to beat by anyone else. Now if you are wanting to spend 1500 or so then a system builder could build you one cheaper than the branded ones....
By route, I meant a different avenue...
for instance you have a monitor. Now depending on what it is and all that you could get away with building another system with utilizing what you have in that one. The thing is that there are various ways to upgrade to a "NEW" computer without actually buying a new one.

for instance here is a total price of $479.00US for a system with a 17" monitor and windows xp home installed and shipped to you.
http://3btech.net/3bsuatsymoco.html
while this isn't a great gaming machine it can be upgraded to play most pc games except the high end games. It can be upgraded to more ram and all that.

I don't think I could instill xp tho, my bro is the main one who help me along with my comp and he told me I could'nt possibly and so did our friend whos in I.T. But ill see what happens with it all. Thanks for your help its put some ideas into what im going to do with this comp and how to get a new one and how to go about it.

This http://3btech.net/3bsuatsymoco.html is a very nice comp tho… :D

Back
Top Bottom