Computer Hardware/Software problem...Help!!

oray777

Baseband Member
Okay i just got my computer today it was used. I was having problems with the CD-Rom not working so i decided to switch out the CD/DVD writer in my other computer and put it in it's place. Okay i put that in place and it's working so i feel good. Well now as the screen starts to boot it starts saying it can't boot for some reason. Well i went to the bios to see if i could change something and maybe i touched something that i shouldn't have. Anyways everytime i try to turn on the computer it says "PXE-E61 media test failure". Then when i press enter to continue it says "Operating system not found". So if someone can help thanks alot.

"Operating System not found" means that you need to install an Operating System ... some people completely format there Hard Drive before selling it on. Get a Windows/Linux (yay!) CD and it should boot and you just follow the instructions. As for PXE E61 ... I have absolutely no idea.

Okay guys thanks for trying to help. I finally figured out the problem being that i'm not a computer technician i feel a little bit proud :). Anyways i did get some help from someone on the playchess server because i talk to those guys. I was getting a diskette A error code so he told me to remove the device to see if it would go away. I did that problem didn't go away. Still scratching my head and a bit worried. So i go into Bios and decided to check some options. Well under the option for drive A i decided to disable it since i didn't have any of the other options and my current drive was not operating. Well sure enough that did work and i was very happy. Okay i decide to put in the PCI modem card because i need it to get on the internet. Well after that it started with the same problem again but this time it would pass the bios option F2 and go straight to the PXE-61 error. So i figured somethin must have happened after i installed the PCI card. Well i started to mess with the connection from the harddrive to the card. My computer has 2 SCSI harddrives and connected to the card. For what reason i have no idea but i'll find out later. Well to make a long story short it seems like i have some bad wires or bad connectors. So was careful when reinstalling the PCI card so as not to disturb the wires and not it runs perfect. I thought i totally messed up my computer but in the end i got everything to work right and all of this because the CD-ROM was not working. Thanks again everyone. Hope that wasn't too long :p

Lord Kalthorn said:
Sounds like the best idea - as long as you don't get Linux!

.... You just HAD to get that one in didn't you? -___-

Oray777 - Well done ... as for the 2 Hard Drives, it is quite common for computers to be sold with 2 Hard drives - new and used.

Oh yeah and it feels good :p . Anyways those SCSI drives seem to be too small. I think they are only 4 or 5 GB large. Will i be able to upgrade the harddrives with some better larger harddrives without too much complication in installing them? I'm not sure really whats so great about them. They don't seem to hold much space. If i were to just go ahead and install just one regular internal harddrive oh say about 80GB will i just be able to plug it in and forget about? As for those SCSI harddrives they seem to be connected to some PCI card. I guess i would have to remove that too with the harddrives. Thanks.

If you upgraded your Hard drives by a massive amount, you would probably have to upgrade your RAM too ... otherwise your computer may not be able to handle it.

i think i have 1gb of ram. Do you think that is enough? I only want to upgrade to 80 120GB.

Well done oray777!
oray777 said:
i think i have 1gb of ram. Do you think that is enough? I only want to upgrade to 80 120GB.
1GB will be plenty for that hard drive amount!

Back
Top Bottom