Computer freezing after/during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigm@tic

In Runtime
As the title says, windows pretty much freezes sometimes during gameplay but mostly just after closing battlefield 2 the desktop will freeze and there is absolutely no HDD activity. If I don't manually reboot, after about 10 minutes the HDD begins to function and catch up with everything I tried to click when it was frozen.

Do you think this could be Windows vista or the hard drive?

FYI, I have 2 HDDs .. the primary is not that old I only got it late 2006 but the secondary is about 5 years old.. although I doubt that's the problem.

I've not played battlefield so have not look at their support forums but have you got the latest up-to-date drivers for your graphics card?

Also in your event logs from the computer any errors coming up their repeatedly when this happens?

Last time I had this problem but with battlefield 2142 and I needed to defrag and update my sound drivers

The only driver I cannot install on my computer is NVIDIA nForce RAID Device. Otherwise yeah I have the latest driver for video card.

How do I check the error log?

Hello,

• Start
  • run
  • eventvwr.msc

That will allow you to see the event viewer to see the error logs.

Cheers,
Mak

I'll have to wait for the problem to occur again to see if it gets logged. I just went through and couldn't find any bf2 application related errors. I checked for recent system errors and they just come up as unexpected shutdown because most of the time I just press the reset button when it froze.

YES! I finally caught it. Froze so I bit the bullet and waited it out then checked the logs and got this under applications.. ESENT - Performance

Windows (2108) Windows: A request to write to the file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log" at offset 37376 (0x0000000000009200) for 37888 (0x00009400) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (119 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

And under system was this error.. nvstor64

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.

and.. Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Those two errors were repeated in the list several times.

and to narrow it down with bf2 I scrolled down and saw this.. Win32k

Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface 3 time(s).

All these errors happened at the same time when it froze.

Do you think this could be because of my Nvidia nForce RAID device driver not installed?

Hello,

This is related to your RAID configuration.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Get the updated nvidia drivers for your mobo. That should work. If not make sure you have RAID disabled in your BIOS.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks again Mak

I can't seem to install this nForce RAID device. I keep getting the popup on startup then in device manager it's listed with an exclamation mark.

I don't even know what RAID is.. what is it for?

Will it slow the comp if I disabled it in DOS? - I might just uninstall the device first and see how it goes.

By the way, my mobo is not even Nvidia, it's asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom