Computer for Internet TV

Larisa

In Runtime
Hello all, it's been a while. I went back to my home country for 5 weeks and just now getting settled back into my life here in the USA.

My question is, can you recommend a laptop computer for me that would work if I used it for connecting to a television? This way I can watch TV using the Internet and not pay a cable or satellite fee.

My price range is $500 to $600 but can be a little more if worth it.

All help or ideas are appreciated.

My advice would be to ditch the TV entirely and just use the laptop, but if you have a good sized TV, I can see how that would come into play. Definitely look for a laptop with at least HDMI output (they're out there in that price range) and if you need to, get an adapter break out box. That would be the route I'd take as well. VGA or Composite is going to be "noisy" when you pipe it to a TV if it's anything recent.

Already have the TV and it is Internet ready, not all digital/HD TVs are. It's brand new, bought it this week. Yes the PC has a VGA port. I know I need a VGA to HDMI cable and audio cables. What I'm looking for is a laptop computer for the TV, any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I bought a Logitech Revue, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue. It makes your TV Internet ready. It's a good idea and easy to use but you can't download plugins so many Internet TV websites can't be used. There are some that are Logitech Revue ready like Netflix.

So next I bought an ASUS laptop, on Black Friday. I hooked it up with no problems and was surfing the Internet. I was setting up bookmarks for the Internet TV websites I wanted to use. About 1 hour into using this laptop, IT DIED!!!

So today I will return it and get this, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...lack/1450344.p?id=1218261016176&skuId=1450344. Does anyone have knowledge of this PC? Please provide your opinion.

Okay, I have my Toshiba laptop now and it is hooked up to the TV. Everything works great except I don't have any sound. I have a mini plug from the computer (where the headphones go) and a red and white RCA plug connected to the TV's audio red and white jacks. Do I have to make an adjustment to the computer to make it recognize the TV?

Back
Top Bottom