Computer Disaster Stories....

karling07

Daemon Poster
Well I assume a lot of us have had big problems with our adventures with computers... Share some of your more interesting stories in this thread on how you may have "disabled" your computer.

My #1 Dumbest:
Using Windows 98 a couple of years ago... When I first found WinZip online, I downloaded it and looked for files that had big file sizes on my computer. I found one called "Windows". So I told winzip to compress it. Suddenly everything goes blank and flickery and I get a failure to boot the OS. Yeah, not so smart...

Haha... lol, you zipped the windows folder? :confused:

I broke two of the little gold things off a RAM stick by accident removing it from the computer to check the brand name of it. :D Does that count?

lol yea i was in a hurry because (the funny part about it)my hardrive in my computer had just fried(not my fault) so i wanted 2 put the downstairs computer's hardrive in my computer so it would have a good computer....oops...

When I did my first rebuild of my old Celeron 366, the PS2 and USB were unpluggable, since it was wires. Anyhow, it was not well plugged in and I saw smoke coming out of it. Bye mouse and bye USB.

Another one on the same machine is that when I was retying up my HDD trays, while running Windows, I accidently moved my arm and the 4 pin molex went straight away from HDD with exeptional force. The drive was working, but got a BSOD.

Another one I could have seen a disaster was that I putted an AMD K6-2 500MHZ onto an intel chipset with a Pentium MMX 200MHZ. I emailed Prosys and it said it was going to be a BBQ

MooseMan said:
lol yea i was in a hurry because (the funny part about it)my hardrive in my computer had just fried(not my fault) so i wanted 2 put the downstairs computer's hardrive in my computer so it would have a good computer....oops...
Lol. At least we learn from our mistakes. :)

Haha yeah, if we didn't we'd have alot more disasters than we do now, and this forum would have to become a corporate enterprise :p

Well, the only real disaster has been when my PSU was shorting out all the components, and 2 hard drives died, losing all their data because of it.

Other earlier incidents may include, when i didn't know much about computers, and I made simple mistakes like Im sure we all did, causing a format to be nesseccary, etc, so I've deifnietly learnt from my mistakes :)

Haha...I think I've learnt already not to short out power leads when components are running.

Back
Top Bottom