Computer Dies on Startup

marcmarteleira

In Runtime
My sister was complaining that when she turned on her computer after windows loaded the toolbar wouldn't show up, after resetting the computer and trying to format it.

I would choose to boot from CD rom and there would be a small blue flash and it would go to the black screen but wouldnt say press any key to boot from cd, and would instantly start loading windows and then would die halfway through loading and it would show a blue flash before it died, I'm guessing they're somehow related?

It's a semi-old HP computer. Thanks for any help.

Sorry should have posted, the model number is DC5000, thanks.

The blue flash is a BSOD, and looking at it's code may help you figure out what's going on. Unfortunately though it doesn't look like you can get into windows or boot from a CD (have I understood this correctly?) and you'll need to do one of these two to turn the automatic reboot feature off.

When you say "trying to format", what stopped you? Did you get half way and then it gave up? If so then it sounds like the hard drive is at least corrupted because of the break in formatting, and might be dead altogether if this is what stopped the format. Either way I'd open your BIOS up and check the SMART status of the drive if you can - this should tell you whether it's perfectly healthy or about to give up the ghost!

You could also grab a linux livecd such as knoppix and try and boot from that - if you can then you can also see if you can access the windows partition. You might also be able to reformat the disk from there if it's dodgy "formatting" that's causing the issue.

When I try to format the computer with the Windows XP cd the cd drive doesn't even read the disc, I choose for it to boot from the CD ROM drive and instead of it saying press any key to boot from cd it just flashes blue and then loads windows and flashes blue again then crashes, but it doesnt have a error code or anything, its a deep blue.

Thanks for the response

I hate bumping, but my dad is really kicking my butt to fix this and I dont know how, but he doesn't understand that, he thinks I know everything, anyone have ANY clues?

Hmm, I recently had an issue like this and it turned out I was using the wrong xp disc.

If you have 2 sticks of ram try taking 1 out and seeing if it will boot up properly.

Back
Top Bottom