Computer died..

Glad to hear we isolated the problem. Now you know what you need to do. I can recommend a power supply, but tell me, what kind of computer is it? If it is a prebuilt, make and model will be sufficient. If it is prebuilt (you said this is the first time opening it, so I assume it is prebuilt), you don't really need a screaming power supply. Probably 450W would do it. Let me know what you find.

It's prebuilt, but it was made by a small (And really bad) company so it had a regular ATX supply at 350W. Because this is a moderately old computer, I want to spend as little as possible on a new supply, so I think this one would be okay.

Nah, I wouldn't have touched anything else. The green LED is just saying there's current, but the PSU has problems with certain caps, causing all this mess.

If nothing spins, check PSU first.

I was thinking more of this. I think part of the problem might have been a power supply too weak, so adding a little bit of wattage isn't a bad idea.

when you turn it on do you hear short fast beeps? if you do take out your ram. if you still do, take out your graphics card. if you STILL do, your cpu/motherboard is broken.

when you turn it on do you hear short fast beeps? if you do take out your ram. if you still do, take out your graphics card. if you STILL do, your cpu/motherboard is broken.

He had said in previous posts that all he gets is a light on the motherboard and the power light. No fans, no beeps, no screen, nothing.

Nah, don't think of a broken power button. It's a never die thing. Well, you can destroy one. I tried that with a spare one. It was sticky due to paint, and I used some poly clens on it. I ended up having the thing in bits and pieces in my hands.

It was obviously a bad PSU that wasn't outputting the proper power for his computer. Hopefully he will get the 450W and that should be enough for his prebuilt. IMO he doesn't need a huge power supply for that. He had a 350W and that crapped out, so there are some good cheap 450W that would do for him.

Problem almost solved: Got an Enermax Noisetaker 2 420W and hooked everything up. It turns on, fans spin, and shows the Intel bootscreen. But nothing else. Doesn't boot into Windows, not into the BIOS, just stays at a blue Intel screen. The hard drive has proper power, I can hear it spinning, and all connections are snug. What could be wrong now?

Back
Top Bottom