Computer crashes

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hi fellas lately my pc crashes while I do multi-tasking. For example if I am running a DVD burning software like ConvertXtoDVD and play music at the same time, the computer restarts. What could cause this? I have the following:

XP pro
DFI Lanparty NF4 mobo
AMD 64 3500
BFG 7800 gt
2 GB RAM

muz

Golden Master
is that cpu temp under load or idle , and if it is 500w it is fine , to find out look on the box

mammikoura

Golden Master
try the memtest, my guess would be that it's the memory. Though if those are the cpu idle temps then it would also be a good idea to clean the case and the fans.

sammytheman

In Runtime
mammikoura said:
try the memtest, my guess would be that it's the memory. Though if those are the cpu idle temps then it would also be a good idea to clean the case and the fans.
OK I did a memtest but had to cancel it after 5 hours. It did something like 9 cycles. How long does it take? A week?

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
i think about 12 hours to get an accurate test..... but i've let some run for 48 just cuz i had nothing better to do

mammikoura

Golden Master
5h is fine. I always tell people to run at least 3h, but usually if it's the ram you will get errors in a few minutes. When I ran a memtest on my broken ram I got the 1st error in about 5 mins.

sammytheman

In Runtime
mammikoura said:
5h is fine. I always tell people to run at least 3h, but usually if it's the ram you will get errors in a few minutes. When I ran a memtest on my broken ram I got the 1st error in about 5 mins.
Does the test ever stop caus I just got back home from work and it is on PASS 43!!!!!!!!!!! Total time was 21 hours.