Computer Chassis/power fans

adrian krstisto

Baseband Member
I recently built a computer

i started using asus's probe to check my temp since its been extremelly hot...

cpu-65
mb-47

i know these are hot

heres my question

under fans it shows cpu at 2343 rpm

but it shows nothing under chassis or power

wth are those?

i use a anandtec 550psu, nice heatsink fan, another fan

i also use sli and even though under the nvidia cp it reads temp at 65 when i physically touch the card its extremelly hot, is this normal?

chassis is the case fan, if you have one, it SHOULD show up, whether it spins or not. When talking about fans, the 'power' is relating to the fan inside the PSU, which should always be spinning.

Have you tried running Speedfan? A program (free) that lets you control fan speeds and monitors hardware performance. Try that maybe. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

65c is pretty hot under heavy load. If you are idling at 65c, something is very wrong. Make sure you are properly vented and all fans are running (clear of dust). As for your gfx card, they run hot naturally... im not sure if 65c is abnormal but at 85 you risk serious damage, so if that has a fan, make sure it is always running as well.

it was 65 at heavy load

now that im off, it is 54 which is still hot but not crazy hot. speed fan still has that lil flame icon next to it

my mobo is 43

how can i lower the cpu temp?

should i get air conditioning for my room and keep it at 60 all the time?

the cpu is that shiny chip right?

its underneath my 2 gpus, maybe thats why its overheating?

i have speed fan

here are the numbers
temp 1 - 55
temp 2 - 43
temp 3 - minus 128 wacky number
hd's 35/42

should i get more fans?

woulds it make a difference since my room has a hard time circulating the heat out.

if my room get -10 degrees will my computer follow?

how do i know if my box is circulating heat correctly?

will check back tommorrow. thanks buddy

adrian krstisto said:
it was 65 at heavy load

now that im off, it is 54 which is still hot but not crazy hot. speed fan still has that lil flame icon next to it

my mobo is 43
65, you should be ok if that's heavy load. Maybe a little cooler would save some lifetime on the cpu. Depending on your processor, it varies. AMD's tend to run hotter and can withstand more heat.
The little flame icon is a jerk. My PSU shows the flame icon even at 53 degrees, and I have had it up to 65 without problems.

how can i lower the cpu temp?
To start, you can cool down the room if it's too hot. 70-75 is decent room temperature. The cooler the better.
You can get some better heatsink/fan, they are pretty cheap but you don't want to get a cheapy one. They run about $6 up to $50 or even higher. But use this as a last resort. The factory heatsink and fan should be fine unless it is damaged. Just make sure everything is vented, dust-free and maybe keep cpu fan running at 60-80%. Default for most systems is 40%, so turn these up a little might cool it down by a couple of degrees.

should i get air conditioning for my room and keep it at 60 all the time?
Unless your room is really hot (like 80+) I wouldn't worry too much, unless you WANT an air conditioner, every little bit helps.

the cpu is that shiny chip right?
The CPU is a small flat chip barried under that small fan and shiny metal block.
The shiny metal thing you see is the heat sink, it sits on top of the cpu. http://www.d128.com/features/cooling/heatsink.jpg

its underneath my 2 gpus, maybe thats why its overheating?
Im not sure what you mean by this, but if anything is covering the fans, it can cause overheating.

i have speed fan

here are the numbers
temp 1 - 55
temp 2 - 43
temp 3 - minus 128 wacky number
hd's 35/42
temp 1 - assuming it's the cpu at idle, could stand to lose about 10-15 degrees
temp 2 - mobo/case? this is fine
temp 3 - a negative number? I have no idea, I would guess there is a problem with reading the temperature. Probably nothing serious.

should i get more fans?
No, but if the fans are not working at a good speed, I might suggest replacing them.

woulds it make a difference since my room has a hard time circulating the heat out.
Ofcoarse. I remember when my room is about 20 degrees hotter in the summer time, my cpu/case temp goes up about 10 degrees.

if my room get -10 degrees will my computer follow?
Probably not the full 10 degrees, but it will definately help

how do i know if my box is circulating heat correctly?
When all hardware is working fine, the room is cool and the temperatures read normally. Bad circulation can heat up a case even in a very cool room.

By the sounds of this, I would say you need to cool down the room a little. Make sure all of the fans are spinning and any wires or cards are away from the case/cpu fans. If fans are 40% speed normally, bump them up to 60-70%. Also, don't open the case in an attempt to cool it off, it will only make it worst. :p

ok, first of all, pseudoevolution amd processors do not run hot, the death zone for most amd procs is over 60 degrees celsius, adrain krstisto what kind of processor do you have?

BigLu said:
ok, first of all, pseudoevolution amd processors do not run hot, the death zone for most amd procs is over 60 degrees celsius, adrain krstisto what kind of processor do you have?
Sorry I had that backwards, Intel's run hotter.
But 60 degrees is hardly the death zone. But it will reduce the life. The standard "death zone" is 85 celsius, and it will stay that way until they use better materials for processors. Most new processors run around 60 on load anyway, it's nothing serious.

Adrain, it's not possible for everyone to increase the fan speeds, but if you are able to, it will be the up/down arrows in the SpeedFan program, next to the speed % readings.

I would consider changing the fan because the speed is too slow and put some thermal paste...not the pad. I have seen my CPU over 80-90 with the pad or padless and with thermal paste, around 40-50.

I havn't had good experiences with any temperature utilities. The always seem to read my processor at 75 C even when nothing is happening. Then i'll check in in the bios and it shows a much lower temperature. I don't know why.

Back
Top Bottom