Computer can't recognize any type of sound device

AlwaysInVtec

Beta member
Hi everyone. I'm new here so not sure if this is the correct section for this, but I signed up because I'm in dire need of some computer help. I'll do my best to explain what the problem is, when it occurred, and what I've done to try and fix it. Hopefully someone on here can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

My current problem - My computer (Dell xps 8500) doesn't have any working sound and does not show any sound device or sound card being on the computer.

When the problem started - I was editing a video a few days ago and while trying to save the finished video to my computer the editing program I was using froze and then came up with an error message saying my files were missing. This problem has happened before so I closed the program and decided to restart the computer which is normally what I'll do to fix that issue. Well while the computer was restarting it said "Configuring windows. Please wait". I figured, ok it's doing some automatic updates, that's fine. Well when it started back up I tried to watch the video that I was editing and I had no sound. I then opened the speaker icon at the bottom of my desktop and it had a red X on it. When the mouse hovered over that icon it said "No audio device output device is installed".

What I've done to try and fix it - I first clicked on the speaker icon and it came up with a message that read "There is a problem with the driver for High Definition Audio Device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem". I clicked "Apply This Fix". After it did its thing, I got this message "Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all the issues found." Problems that were found "High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem----Problem not fixed".

I then opened up the device manager and under the "Sound" tab I saw on each one of these a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.
  • High Definition Device (listed 3 times)
  • Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter (listed 2 times)
  • Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers

I had friend of mine come over who is knowledgeable with computers to try and resolve this issue. He tried to download the drivers I needed, but they all said "Failed to install". He then opened up the dxdiag window and under the "Sound" tab of that it said "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer". So for whatever reason after my computer restarted, it lost all knowledge of a sound card or device even being in it.

My friend and I then opened up my computer and after realizing that the sound card was built into the motherboard we went over to Frys to buy a pci sound card. We bought the new pci sound card, came home and tried to install it. It said it installed just fine, but the speaker icon still had that red X on it, and when I opened up the dxdiag box it still had no knowledge of a sound device in the computer.

We then thought, ok I've got a Radeon hd7xxx graphics card with an hdmi output. If I hook the monitor up using that (which I don't do cause my only hdmi cord is used for my xbox) then that graphics card should put it the sound...it didn't though

My friend and I are both out of ideas as to what this problem could be and why my computer will not recognize any sound device. It sees the graphics card, but no sound device is ever found by the computer. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to just take it to a professional place to have them look at it, but just don't have the money for that right now. I do a lot of photography and video editing so I have to have the sound on this computer working. I don't know what happened to it, viruses and malware have been checked and ruled out as a reason, unless there is a virus that kills sound cards and is invisible.

If anyone, anyone at all can help me in any way possible to find a fix or even lead me in the right direction for finding a fix to this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I need this computer for work and work can't be done without my sound card working. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to even read this and is willing to help.

Last edited:
Sounds like your settings were changed.
If it were me I would....
First look and read any documentation listed for installing your AUDIO Drivers. Documentation that may be located in your DELL Manual that should be available online. Look at the manual or driver installation instructions because there are different methods for installing different drivers. Sometimes there is a right way and a wrong way.

If documentation doesn't help I would...
1.) Uninstall the audio drivers currently installed.
2.) Restart the computer.
3.) Redownload and VERIFY the Audio Drivers are the correct Audio drivers for your Dell System. Dell's website is rather good at helping you.
5.) Install the newest drivers.
6.) Restart the computer.
7.) Test your sound

If your sound still isn't working...
Go to your control panel > administrative tools > event viewer
Once in Event Viewer click Windows logs > System. This may take a few seconds to load. You will see the very top column that lists "Level" "Date and time" "Source" "Event ID". Be sure that the events are listed by time by clicking the "Date and Time" column which will sort the logs for you.
Once completed. Look at and read any events listed that have a "Warning" or "Error" icon under the "Level" column regarding Sound or Sound Drivers.
If nothing is listed try looking under the other logs such as "Application".

Last edited:
Ok I did what you suggested. None of the first things did anything. Got the same error message when trying to install the driver. I went into the event viewer though and these are the errors / warnings I see from the date that the problem first occurred.

(Warning) - WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped. Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\athihvs.dll

(Warning) - WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

(Warning) - The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_COMPACT_FLASH&REV_1.01#058F63626476&1#.

(Error) - The DefaultTabSearch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

(Warning) - Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

(Error) - The HP Network Devices Support service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

(Error) - The Dell Digital Delivery Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

(Warning) - WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

(Warning) - WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped. Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\athihvs.dll

(Warning) - The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_COMPACT_FLASH&REV_1.01#058F63626476&1#.

(Error) - The DefaultTabSearch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

(Warning) - Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

^I got those same erros and warnings over and over again on the day the problem started up until these new errors show up

(Error) - The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

(Error) - The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

(Error) - The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The Microsoft Network Inspection System service depends on the Microsoft Malware Protection Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error:

(Error) - The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

Lots of other errors. But no obvious error related to your sound driver.

You may have malicious programs running. Run some antivirus spyware removal programs.

If you wish, try the following: Each program will take a few hours to scan once installed.

AVAST is a free antivirus removal program.
Spybot Search and Destroy is a free spyware removal program.
Lavasoft Adaware is a free Ad removal antivirus program.
F-Secure has a free ONLINE scanner that makes it so you don't have to download and install something.

I'd definitely recommend Spybot Search and Destroy AND Lavasoft Adaware AND then either F-Secure OR AVAST. Please note you may have to uninstall each program before installing and running the next as sometimes they create false positives or the antivirus program simply wont allow you to install it because of file and permission conflicts.

As always before running such programs create a system backup/restore point (many programs now automatically do this but I don't remember if any of the above do). This will allow you to recover your system from safemode in the event the program or user deletes necessary system files.

Ok so I made a system restore point, then ran and downloaded each one of those programs. The AVAST one took a long time to scan, said it found a few things, I hit fix automatically, it said it fixed them. I then scanned again and everything was clean. I installed the audio driver again and yet still have the same error message about how it failed to install and there is a problem with the audio device...

It is established:
1.) No malicious programs are installed.
2.) No event errors with the audio.
3.) Trying to install the onboard drivers you get a "Failed to install" message.

Hopefully you read the documentation for the separate PCI Sound Card you purchased and followed all of their recommended steps to a "T". Hopefully you are POSITIVE your system is supported by that PCI card. Hopefully you are POSITIVE that the PCI SLOT with the card in it works, is dust free, and the card is securely snapped into place.

If all the above is true.

Could be a set up issue with windows.

If your system automatically creates restore points. I would consider reverting to a restore point before the sound issue started. You'll possibly lose some settings and possibly some data reverting to a restore point.

If all those fixes failed for me including looking at windows settings and services. If I wanted to avoid paying $$$ I'd make sure all my data was backed up on a 2nd hard drive. I'd be sure I had ALL the material necessary for a factory restore. I'd then revert my system back to factory settings (A COMPLETE SYSTEM RESTORE BRAND NEW) Dealing with DELL you most likely have a DELL Factory Restore program already installed on your desktop.

I have had this problem before just right click in the blank area where stuff should show and press show disabled devices, you can then enable your speakers and hopefully it should work. Message me if it doesn't. ~Tom

Ok so I made a system restore point, then ran and downloaded each one of those programs. The AVAST one took a long time to scan, said it found a few things, I hit fix automatically, it said it fixed them. I then scanned again and everything was clean. I installed the audio driver again and yet still have the same error message about how it failed to install and there is a problem with the audio device...

I have found this link which you could follow and see if it fixes the issue (I know it says realtek but will be the same process) ; My Realtek HD Audio Driver Won't Install | eHow

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom