Computer Build

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Well I am sort of new when it comes to building my own computer in fact this is my first one. I have asked a few questions already and I have come up with this build:

Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D 750I - Already Have
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 1Gig
PSU: Rosewill RBR750-M
Ram: OCZ between 4GB to 8GB

I have everything else, hard drive and cdrom.

Please give me your opinions on this build and if it sounds good. I am a gamer and that is mostly what I do so that is what I am trying to build. I do have a limited budget about $700. Thanks.

If you're looking at gaming then Vista is probably the better OS since it's got Dx10 support which XP still doesn't have. The 64 bit driver issue is less than it was a few years back - but it's still worth double checking that everything you're looking at will definitely have 64 bit drivers available if you choose to go down that route.

Well the reason I went with XP was because a lot of games I have would not play on Vista even in ever compatibility mode. So I decided to go back to XP. I don't know if Vista 64 can play some games that vista 32 didn't.

What games are you trying to play that wont work in Vista? I have had no issues running any game on Vista64 or Windows 7 64????

City Life, Rescue 911, Genesis Rising. Not the most spectacular games but something to do.

The case is big and tool-less
but holy cow
it collects all the dust in the world
make sure you have some canned air ready..

You could go with windows 7 and run XP-mode for those games. If I am not mistaken, that should work.

Maybe run the RC till it comes out.

I am not stuck on that case. Any suggestions on another case that will fit the P5N-D motherboard? Thanks.

The Cooler Master RC-690 is a great case. It's a mid-tower that offers excellent cooling and great features such as tool-less drive bays and great cable routing.

Another noob question. I need to get these out all at once. So I read that the Radeon HD4870 needs two 6-pin connectors to power it. Well eventually one day I may expand with a second HD4870. How do you power it? Are the adapters or what?

Back
Top Bottom