Computer Build

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Well I am sort of new when it comes to building my own computer in fact this is my first one. I have asked a few questions already and I have come up with this build:

Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D 750I - Already Have
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 1Gig
PSU: Rosewill RBR750-M
Ram: OCZ between 4GB to 8GB

I have everything else, hard drive and cdrom.

Please give me your opinions on this build and if it sounds good. I am a gamer and that is mostly what I do so that is what I am trying to build. I do have a limited budget about $700. Thanks.

berry120

Fully Optimized
If you're looking at gaming then Vista is probably the better OS since it's got Dx10 support which XP still doesn't have. The 64 bit driver issue is less than it was a few years back - but it's still worth double checking that everything you're looking at will definitely have 64 bit drivers available if you choose to go down that route.

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Well the reason I went with XP was because a lot of games I have would not play on Vista even in ever compatibility mode. So I decided to go back to XP. I don't know if Vista 64 can play some games that vista 32 didn't.

jikifreak

In Runtime
What games are you trying to play that wont work in Vista? I have had no issues running any game on Vista64 or Windows 7 64????

jrs6494

Baseband Member
City Life, Rescue 911, Genesis Rising. Not the most spectacular games but something to do.

metin

In Runtime
The case is big and tool-less
but holy cow
it collects all the dust in the world
make sure you have some canned air ready..

isaiahk

Baseband Member
You could go with windows 7 and run XP-mode for those games. If I am not mistaken, that should work.

Maybe run the RC till it comes out.

jrs6494

Baseband Member
I am not stuck on that case. Any suggestions on another case that will fit the P5N-D motherboard? Thanks.

Atomic Rooster

Omnipotent One
The Cooler Master RC-690 is a great case. It's a mid-tower that offers excellent cooling and great features such as tool-less drive bays and great cable routing.

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Another noob question. I need to get these out all at once. So I read that the Radeon HD4870 needs two 6-pin connectors to power it. Well eventually one day I may expand with a second HD4870. How do you power it? Are the adapters or what?