Computer build preparation & suggestions.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Well now that my new parts are on its way, its hard not to think about it. It is going to be my first build, and I don't want to mess anything up.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what preparations do people take when they build there computers? As well as the build process.

I am going to set a table in my room so I can have a solid place for the build. From reading other people build there computers, I was able to get that the best thing to do when u start to put parts together is to not put them in the case first, but just assemble everything together and see if its all works first. My question is on what type of surface must I have my mobo lying around on? Should I just put the standoffs on it and it doesn't matter where u put it? Also how do u ground a psu?

I know that there are guides online for how to build a pc, but if anyone can suggest a few good once (detailed), that would be great!

Thanks

You usually install the standoffs in the case before you put the motherboard in. Your manual should tell you where to put em- you just screw em' in.

For your motherboard. It should come in a container with foam padding, take the padding out, and put the motherboard on it.

Do you mean grounding for static build up? Just touch it.

Also, when installing your CPU, it's best to wear thin rubber gloves (the kind that doctors would wear). It's not necessary, but grease from your fingers could potentially come in contact with the CPU's pins, and cause problems.

Just put the motherboard on it's antistatic bag whilst you are installing the CPU, RAM and cooler on to it. And hold all of the components by the edges of their PCBs and you'll be fine.

Yeah, people really tend to blow the safety stuff out of proportion. I built my computer on the rug in my room and it's still running perfectly. Just be sure to take care with the PCBs, handle them by the sides as well as you can. You probably will want to insert all the components on the motherboard before you install the motherboard into the case, I made the mistake of installing the motherboard and as a result probably lengthened the building process by 30 minutes. And, take care to ground yourself whenever you can, by touching the case or the PSU. I don't see a need for rubber gloves, but if you're really worried (those are some expensive components that you got there) then you can give them a try, it'll work out fine either way though.

well about 6 years ago i built my 1st one, bascally i got a glass table and put a towel over it, now i did what you said, just leave the tower out of everything and put the motherbored on the towel and start making it, then switch it on and well you'll see, if it works simply put it in the tower.

now before you build, get everything you need around you, get the correct screws and the correct screwdrivers and such and trust me, go slow do 1 part at a time, and i think if you should this is how i did it:

MOTHERBORED Sit down
then cpu
then memory
then graphics

in that order i did very slow and it worked.

then put your hdd and cd and power in and what not

o and zero, its very easy, very very very easy to build now a days, and if you dont feel right about it, you'll get a set of instructions and a demo on their and it will tell you, or you can youtube things liek how to build a pc

well ive never built a pc with that sort of psu but its simple, you see the big one top right? then you'll notice it stright away on the mobo, well thats your power, that brings in the power for your motherbored and all its connectors.

the bottom left is or will be next to the cpu, the top right is for things like cd drives and harddrives power, the ground wire is your temp i think, not 100% sure but looks like one. the middle two I aint sure to be honest

here is a pic of a ground cable fro my psu, where do i hook this thing up?
It need to touch bare metal.
The middle two are the PCI-E 6 pin connector for your graphics card and the other is the ATX12V 8 pin connector for the CPU power. Most high end boards now use 8 pin instead of the standard 4 pin (bottom left)

It need to touch bare metal.
The middle two are the PCI-E 6 pin connector for your graphics card and the other is the ATX12V 8 pin connector for the CPU power. Most high end boards now use 8 pin instead of the standard 4 pin (bottom left)

Bare metal u say? hmm So would any metal peace would suffice inside the case? And just use electrical tape to hold it in place?

Back
Top Bottom