Computer build for an old codger

Thanks again you blokes for the info thus far. I am checking on the case. What distingushes an ATX case?? The one I have has a power supply bolted to the top rear of the case, the mother board conections come out through the rear, as do the various cards. CD drives are at the front, and the hard drive is below. Currently there are three fans fitted, one to the power supply one to the case and one to the old P4 chip. I'll try and get a pic, might make it easier for comments. All ram is and will be DDR2

Codger = A somewhat eccentric man, especially an old one.

Hi Dos 6.1

Have you considered StaticIce to get pricing? you may be able to save some money (unless you have a MSY close by)

• Board - I've not owned the DS4P but from all accounts it appears to be a solid board
  • CPU - If you're happy to stick with 65nm that's fine but did you consider 45nm?
  • Cooler - I'd suggest the 9700NT if you're set on a Zalman as it is controlled from the m/board, no manual voltage/rpm adjustment required. Did you consider the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme? It is arguably still one of the best air coolers out there and works well for me (Central Qld)
  • Memory - Can you be more specific, brand, timings etc. Have you considered 1066MHz or higher?
  • HDD - I've always used Western Digital but it is your call, 1TB is plenty of space, just make sure it is SATA II (300MB/s transfer)
  • Graphics card - good value for money, there are better performers out there but if you're not a hardcore gamer that should serve you well.
  • PSU - I feel you may be a little light here, I'd be looking at a respected brand no lower than 650w if it were me.
  • OS - x64 is a must these days
  • Speakers, monitor - look fine, whatever floats your boat ;)
The point about the length of the graphics card with relation to your case is relevent, make sure it'll fit. Personally I'd splash out on a new case but once again your call.

Otherwise she looks good

A True folder,

Thanks -, Ram is 2 x 2 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 Desktop Ram.
PSU, I'll look for a Corsair 650w.
Case, I'll check on the case to ensure the grphics card will fit - or buy a new case.
Can the Q6600 be overclocked??

Thanks again,

Q6600 should do 3.2GHz without breaking a sweat

Still need a few more specifics on the memory, what brand is it? Can you post a link to it online?

The thing with memory (you said in the original post you may get two more modules to give a total of 8GB if I read it correctly) is the massive strain it puts on the Northbridge/MCH, some boards just refuse to run with four DIMMs populated with 2GB modules, just something to bear in mind.

;)

Back
Top Bottom