computer atx tower placements

Technology1

Solid State Member
i was wondering, real quick, if placing my computer tower on carpet flooring is bad and could generate esd, since i have no space on my desk for the tower...

Um...

Placing it on carpet is NOT good for several reasons. ESD being one of them. Blocking the intake vent under the front is another . Sucking up carpet fuzz is another one.
I would suggest if you really need to place it on the floor you get something to sit it on such as a scrap piece of flooring linolium. Or simply a board. But never directly in to the carpet.

Don't give up...

Here's a $20.00USD solution.
printerstand_thumb.jpg

It's a printer stand add on for a computer desk I have stored away. Sorry about the case frame in the pic but I stuck it in there so you could see how a mid tower fit. If your tower is taller you could adjust the shelf down some. You also may have to cut some out of the backing to let the cables out along with some air. But then you may luck up on a nice piece of furniture.

i have mine on the carpet and have had NO issues. some people are paranoid, some just dont care (gives me reasons to upgrade to better parts IF something does happen, which nothing has yet).

i have mine on the carpet and have had NO issues. some people are paranoid, some just dont care (gives me reasons to upgrade to better parts IF something does happen, which nothing has yet).

actually it really depends on location (geographic) type of carpet and believe it or not ..body chemistry.
While electrical discharge can happen at any place and any time< it is more apt to happen in colder climates and
/or higher altitudes and when in contact with man made materials(non natural fibers) that break the natural grounding effect.
Wool carpeting does not produce a ststic discharge but nylon will nail you. And I know people that have so much built up static charges in them that they cannot wear any watches at all. If it was battery powered it, they blow the batteries and if wind-up the back of the watch corrodes where contacting the skin.
But back on track ... raise it up on books, boards, what ever and you probably will be ok...
The issue should be ...do you really want to take the chance of blowing it up?

lurkswithin said:
I think it is more...that some people are just lucky!!

actually it really depends on location (geographic) type of carpet and believe it or not ..body chemistry.
While electrical discharge can happen at any place and any time< it is more apt to happen in colder climates and
/or higher altitudes and when in contact with man made materials(non natural fibers) that break the natural grounding effect.
Wool carpeting does not produce a ststic discharge but nylon will nail you. And I know people that have so much built up static charges in them that they cannot wear any watches at all. If it was battery powered it, they blow the batteries and if wind-up the back of the watch corrodes where contacting the skin.
But back on track ... raise it up on books, boards, what ever and you probably will be ok...
The issue should be ...do you really want to take the chance of blowing it up?

im calling BS on parts of this. If watches were blowing up on people's wrists they wouldnt be selling as good as they do. And beside's i think luck has nothing to do with it. I've had my computer on carpet for 3 years, no issues at all. Quite a few people around here do the same thing, no issues. Maybe its just the area i live in, but im damn sure the government would regulate watch manufacturing (if they dont already which again proves my theory of BS) if they were constantly blowing up on people!

Back
Top Bottom