Computer appears fried after Thunderstorm.. what part is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkskeleton

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I have a little problem with my computer. See one night there was a flash of lightning and at that moment my computer shut down immediately, seemingly from power failure. I tried turning it back on but the monitor recieved no signal.

At first I thought the problem was my power supply but I went out and bought a new 450W Power Supply, after doing a bare components test (CPU, Mobo, PSU, Video Card only) I noticed that I'm not recieving any RAM beeps at all.

Is my mobo fried or is something else up?

Here are my rough specs
Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB video card
Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHZ CPU
Chaintech Socket 939 MOBO (Not exactly sure which model)
Cosair 512 MB x2 Value Ram 400 MHZ clock speed

Well if after replacing the PSU and doing a bare components test and you don't get any system beeps it sure sounds like a dead motherboard. You might want to decide whether you just want to purchase another 939 socket motherboard (which is a dying technology) on the cheap, or totally upgrade your computer with new everything.

The only good thing going for ya is that 939 socket boards are dirt cheap

Evey component in your computer might be fried.

You are going to have to troubleshoot every component in your computer to see what works and what doesn't.

Evey component in your computer might be fried.

You are going to have to troubleshoot every component in your computer to see what works and what doesn't.

I know thats not the case, I've already tried testing the video card and hard drive in another computer. But like the other guy says it does seem to be the MOBO thats causing the problem (And yea I probobly would just go and buy a new system.)

So once a MOBO is fried theres nothing that can be done? No magical switches I can use to make it work again? (or atleast to be sure its fried?)

I seriously need to buy a nice surge protector before that happens to mine, or just unplug it during a storm, since they are pretty rare around here.

I know thats not the case, I've already tried testing the video card and hard drive in another computer. But like the other guy says it does seem to be the MOBO thats causing the problem (And yea I probobly would just go and buy a new system.)

So once a MOBO is fried theres nothing that can be done? No magical switches I can use to make it work again? (or atleast to be sure its fried?)

Yeah if you tested all your components and they checked out then it sounds like you will need a new motherboard.

There are no magical switches that I am aware of. Once your motherboard is fried then you have to replace it.

Yes once your board is dead... it is dead. I think it may be a blessing in disguise though.
You now have an excuse to upgrade your computer which will perform multiple times better than your current rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom