Computer all of a sudden running slow...

WannabePBA

Solid State Member
Hello everybody. New member here.

I have a strange problem that I've just encountered today with my PC. I was using my computer and I decided to restart for some reason that I can't remember anymore. I pushed the power button on the computer to shut down. I was running ITunes at the moment listening to some music. Normally my computer shuts down within about 2 to 3 minutes, but this time it took about 10 minutes, and my music started skipping like crazy (off the HD, not a CD), which is understandable because the system was using most of the resources to shut it self down.

Now here's the problem. When I started it back up again, it took about 15-20 minutes to finally start! It sat at the Windows loading page for about 10 minutes or so (before it even got to the user login page). And when I logged in, it took about 5x longer to start than normal. When it finally loaded up, I decided to listen to more music, and when I opened ITunes and hit play, the music skips like crazy. It takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to play 1 second of the songs. On a side note, it also did this with the "Windows chime" when I logged in. I thought maybe Itunes got corrupted somehow so I repaired it, but to no avail. It doesn't seem like an Itunes problem because the same thing happens with Media Player. The computer seems to run fine as long as I don't try to play any media files. But it still takes an unusually long time to start. Normal start time for my computer used to be 2-3 minutes tops, now its about 10-15. System specs are below. Anybody know what might have happened and a possible solution?

Specs:
HP Pavillion dv5115nr Laptop
Windows XP SP2 w/Media Center
1.8 GHz AMD 64 processor
1.256 Gigs of PC2700 DDR2 RAM
128 MB Radion 200M video card
I can provide additional information if needed.

Thanks

first things i think anyone should do if their computer is acting up is run SCANDISK, DEFRAG, and whatever antivirus program you have. after that get back to us with results.

I just noticed WELCOME TO THE FORUM​

1.Defrag
2.download and run
A.Spybot search and destroy
B.Lavasoft ad-aware
(Make sure you update these too programs)
3.update and run any anti virus program you may have

Msconfig
Ok I Recomend that you make a backup of all of youre important stuff just incase some thing happens
1.Click on Start.
2.Hit Run.
3.Type in Msconfig.
4.Click ONLY on the tab called START UP.
5.Disable any thing that you DONT need running clicking on the check box this will disable the start up item.
Note( I unchecked every thing except Zone Alarm And AVG Anti-Virus)
6.When you are done here click apply and then ok
7. After that you will be prompted with a dialog box that says Restart or Exit Without Restart
I usaully click on restart
Note when you start youre computer back up you will be prompted with a dialog box just put a check mark in the box and then click ok :)

Helpfull Hint
1.Right click on you're my computer icon
2.Hit Properties
3.Click Advanced
4.Under Performance Click Settings
5.Click Adjust for Best Performance

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
listen to that guy he knows what hes talking about:D

Back
Top Bottom