Computer advice

The way I've always applied thermal paste to anything is to put a very thin layer on the device or heatsink such that there's minimal oozing out of the sides.

Often I'll put a small drop on the device or heatsink and use a small round shaft like the wood shaft of a cotton swab applicator. Applying a little pressure I'll roll the shaft over the device to ensure there's a nice relatively even thin coating so there's not so much that it oozes all out the sides and to ensure all the device requiring the thermal paste has some on it.

I decided to try one Aerocool Shark fan on he rear of the radiator (all I had room for) just because I had the fan and wanted to see what it would do. Didn't really do anything that I could see other than maybe perhaps help pull the air that is exhausted from the whole radiator up to the fan where it is blown away from the radiator. If there is a benefit to that, it's that the warm air from the radiator won't blow on the graphics card heatsink nor will it be picked up by the graphics card fans. Thursday I may order one of the Phanteks fans like what is on the cooler and put it there unless the Corsair fan I looked at would work better pulling air than the Phanteks would.

EDIT:

I do think there's a mounting issue or some issue out of my control with the liquid cooling block as with the additional fan helping move more air through the radiator I'd expect the temp to drop even just one degree.

Would be nice if Phanteks had a temperature sensor for the liquid as I'd like to see what the liquid temperature is as that can tell me a bit more about what's going on as if the liquid isn't getting all that warm it means there's not good heat transfer and I then know I have a mounting issue or something beyond my control.

Last edited:
I do think there's a mounting issue or some issue out of my control with the liquid cooling block as with the additional fan helping move more air through the radiator I'd expect the temp to drop even just one degree.

Would be nice if Phanteks had a temperature sensor for the liquid as I'd like to see what the liquid temperature is as that can tell me a bit more about what's going on as if the liquid isn't getting all that warm it means there's not good heat transfer and I then know I have a mounting issue or something beyond my control.
Basically what I've been saying for a few pages now, but I think below is the real problem.
After looking at your Vcore you're about .1 to .2 too high.
You need to set a negative offset of .15 in the bios.

Both my chip and yours have a stock should be around 1.25 to 1.275. Your chip max is hitting 1.5 which is dangerously high. Most people sit at 1.37v for OCing. With the negative offset you should drop 15 degrees running Cinebench.

Edit:
You can test this with Intel XTU if you want before trying in the bios.

I installed the new hold down bracket and used the heatsink compound that came with it.

It was either one or both of those that helped as now the temp takes 4 seconds to rise to 197F, hangs there for maybe 15-20 seconds then rises to 203F, hangs there maybe 30 seconds, goes to 206F and stays there.

I ran the test without the extra fan there and got the same results.

I'll try your suggestion and see what I get.

EDIT:

I adjusted the offset to -100mV which is the max BIOS will let me do.

Didn't do much. Gonna change another setting real quick.

EDIT:

Changed CPU CORE/CACHE LOAD LINE CALIBRATION from AUTO to LEVEL 3 and now the temp holds at a steady 199F running Cinebench.

Here's the new bracket installed.

Resizer_16822063524631.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok so like I thought the bracket wasn't worth the trouble. Also by that picture you need more paste.

Under the FIVR menu change CPU Core/Cache Voltage to fixed mode.
Put fixed voltage as 1.275.
Changed CPU CORE/CACHE LOAD LINE CALIBRATION from AUTO to LEVEL 3 and now the temp holds at a steady 199F running Cinebench.
I said to put this on 3 a while back.

Back
Top Bottom