Comptia a+ 800 or 900 series

FretterR

Beta member
Hello everyone,
So I began studying for the comptia a + 800 series at the beginning of this year. (Mainly because I found the study materials much cheaper than the 900 series) however I was studying on and off for some time and just recently have been buckling down. I'm about half way through Meyers 802 book. The deadline for the 800 series is June 30th for those who don't know. So basically before I invest any more time with the 800 I would like some input if I should continue or switch over to studying for the 900 series. I personally would rather take the 800 series just because it may be a little easier (less new topics) but dont want to waste my money and pass one of the two 800 test and have it be retired before i can take the second part. Thanks for any advice!!!!!

*side note I just turned 24 and don't have much work IT experience. (Just classroom and lab knowledge) Trying to land that first gig. I do have a bachelor's in information systems but haven't had much luck in the job search hence why I'm getting this certification.

Edit: using messers videos to study as well

Last edited:
When did you graduate? I know it's unrelated, but my work is looking for an IT intern...
https://jobs.lever.co/spacex-university/416a9b2a-8d86-44f8-9f89-5ba9e5144245

If you've graduated within the last six months you're eligible

There are also spots for Fall and Winter open. Good way to get your foot in the door.
I started on similar footing before i started here -- I've only worked IT for about two years before taking the job here.

As for your original question... I've never taken the CompTIA classes, but if you're uneasy about it now, I'd wait for the 900 series and see if any practice exams or something come out. I'm sure it isn't too different.

When did you graduate? I know it's unrelated, but my work is looking for an IT intern...
https://jobs.lever.co/spacex-university/416a9b2a-8d86-44f8-9f89-5ba9e5144245

If you've graduated within the last six months you're eligible

There are also spots for Fall and Winter open. Good way to get your foot in the door.
I started on similar footing before i started here -- I've only worked IT for about two years before taking the job here.

As for your original question... I've never taken the CompTIA classes, but if you're uneasy about it now, I'd wait for the 900 series and see if any practice exams or something come out. I'm sure it isn't too different.
I graduated just under a year ago unfortunately. Had to take some time off after graduation for family reasons.

Thanks for the advice. I've been leaning toward the 900 series recently for that reason. Don't want to rush myself and risk losing out on roughly 200 dollars. (PrIce of each exam)

Darn. Most of the guys we've interviewed have been software / developers. Not a good fit for out here, we deal with a lot of hardware :tongue:

I am in a college course that ends with A+ certification, and I have about 4 weeks left. Unfortunately we just got the new 901/902 books a few weeks ago and I learned all the 801/802 material. Anyway, I have both books, and I can say the main differences are that the 901/902 addresses mac and linux on a lot of things, and there's almost no mention of Windows XP. Also, there seems to be much more on mobile devices (3 chapters).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom