Compilers for C++ and Flash

Well when you scale it you're going to be squashing it, which will be deforming the image by a factor of 2 - this will make it look strange however you do it!

So your saying it wont look weird if I re-size it in java?
No - I'm saying however you do it it'll make it weird, the same way if you take an image of me and stretch it by a factor of 2 horizontally I'll look fat and distorted. And that will happen whatever technique you use to stretch it believe me! ;)

Is there any way I can do something like this, were not everything is a perfect sqaure, like this.
http://www.greg-anims.com/platform.png
Not sure what you mean by everything not being a perfect square? You might have to expand on that one a bit...

Like does everything have to be 16 by 16/ twice that
example 32 by 32
example 64 by 64
or can they be different. Such as my character who is 24 by 12.
-
Also is there any way to add flash animations into a java project, because I
wanted to make around 5 'cutseens'/'mini-movies' inside of my game.
-
P.S. thanks for the help so far.

Like does everything have to be 16 by 16/ twice that
example 32 by 32
example 64 by 64
or can they be different. Such as my character who is 24 by 12.
Of course - they can be any size you want!

Also is there any way to add flash animations into a java project, because I
wanted to make around 5 'cutseens'/'mini-movies' inside of my game.
Nope, not if you're working in Greenfoot. You'll have to do these animations in something else. (For the pedantic, yes it's probably technically feasible, but not something to attempt in a first project!)

So... I probably won't be able to make the camera rapidly move in and out
and have all of these strange and weird effects to it :)
(Most, probably all, of these cut-scenes are going to be dramatic and surreal,
I'll explain why once I get further into my game... which will be an awsaume game)
-
By the way, I probably won't make this game until I am more fammiliar with
java.
-
Also, do you think it would be better if I learned flash for this game since I plan to include 'complicated' animated cutscenes in the game? And I have to have these cut-scenes that I am going to make in the game because they tell most of the sotry... and without them the game won't be nearly as good...

My advice would be to start simple...

It's all very well having the concept of a fantastic game, but if you've next to know programming experience that really isn't the place to start. Whatever language you do it in, if you try and pull something complicated off without the proper experience behind you you're just going to end up getting frustrated and then most likely drop the whole project after having learnt practically nothing.

If you do want lots of 2D animation and such though then yes, flash might well be a better choice for that application. I stand by what I said initially though that if you want a good, general purpose programming language to learn then I'd recommend that above flash any day.

Back
Top Bottom