compatibility??

the deceived

In Runtime
I've decided against getting G.Skill memory, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the compatibility of this system:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Socket 939 512KB
Motherboard: DFI nForce4 Ultra-D
Hard Disk Drive: Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6L300SO SATA 16MB Cache
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256Mb
PSU: Q-Tec 550W Dual Fan Gold PFC ATX
Screen: Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD TFT
DVD RW: NEC ND-3520A Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5" FDD
Case: Extreme Gaming Spider Case
Mouse: Logitek MX510
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse

With this memory:

OCZ 2GB (1GB x 2) DDR2 PC2-4200 Dual Channel

But as said before, I was wondering would they be compatible with my system? And especially my motherboard?

Thanks!

your system doesn't matter

Memory

* Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
* Supports dual channel (128-bit wide) memory interface
* Supports up to 4GB system memory
* Supports DDR266, DDR333 and DDR400 DDR SDRAM DIMM

you will be able to run it just not at that speed i think

I'm afraid they wont be no.

This is the maximum your motherboard will handle:

4x 184 Pin DDR, Dual Channel DDR 200/333/400, up to 4 GB

DDR 400, is in other words, PC 3200 speed, and so yours won't support DDR2, and in that case, won't support PC-4200 speed RAM.

With RAM though, your computer will tend to slow the RAM down if its too fast for it (no point though, as its not worth spending more for faster ram for it to be slowed down, and risky compatability issues)

In this case though, your RAM is also of a different DDR rating, and is the second version up, so I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyway.

CONCLUSION:

So get PC 3200 instead or DDR 400 :)

rdcmmnst said:
your system doesn't matter

Memory

* Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
* Supports dual channel (128-bit wide) memory interface
* Supports up to 4GB system memory
* Supports DDR266, DDR333 and DDR400 DDR SDRAM DIMM

you will be able to run it just not at that speed i think

If these are correct then OCZ 2GB (1GB x 2) DDR2 PC2-4200 Dual Channel won't work. If u want 2GB of memory I'd suggest ddr400 2x1GB kit with dual channel.

oh right ok then. But if I was still use the OCZ RAM, does anyone know of any motherboard that can handle DDR2 533 MHz?

Thanks very much!

the deceived said:
oh right ok then. But if I was still use the OCZ RAM, does anyone know of any motherboard that can handle DDR2 533 MHz?

Thanks very much!

Okay, now I could be wrong about this, but I don't think that AMD processors can work with ddr2 memory. So u won't find an amd socket mobo that supports ddr2.

oh right, so if I found the same memory (OCZ 2 x 1Gb) in normal DDR memory, it would work? I might have to down scale to something like PC4000 or even PC3200.

Thanks for your help!

Scale down to PC3200 since this is what your motherboard takes maximum without slowing down the RAM which could cause instabilities, etc.

I run off PC3200 and its fine. Getting faster RAM for my machine would do exactly the same...and seriously, whats the point spending loads more to get nothing extra? Thats not a good gimic :p

ok then, well just as a very last point on this subject, would my motherboard be able to take the following RAM?

OCZ 2GB (1GB x 2) DDR PC-3500 Dual Channel Kit Performance Series

Thanks very much again!!

Back
Top Bottom