Common Files?

jonny912

Baseband Member
I'm in need of extra HDD space because I'm stuck with a 16GB partition and I was looking around in program files and came across a folder called Common Files
(C:\Program Files\Common Files on my computer) which is taking up around 700mb of needed space. Its full of serveral other folders such as HP, Java, Macromedia, Adobe, and many other folders with names like those. My question is, can I safely delete all these? if not, what are they for?
Thx
Jonny

I wouldnt delete it. Its a folder for components that are shared across applications. Typically C:\Program Files\Common.

700 MB is only about 6% of your 16 GB. What operating system does it have.
Windows XP uses about 1.5 GB, Windows 98 uses about 300 MB.
Your 16 GB is not big in todays standards, but it should handle average computing.

Do you have lots of pictures or music?
There are some utilities you can try that will list everything in your computer and tell you what size files and folders are.

if you really need the space, you could create a zip folder in the commons folder and dump all the files in there. It will compress all the files in the zip taking up less space on your hd.

~mr mixx~ said:
if you really need the space, you could create a zip folder in the commons folder and dump all the files in there. It will compress all the files in the zip taking up less space on your hd.

But no programs could read the files anymore, and the programs would fail to run correctly

Back
Top Bottom