Comcast to Verizon... Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
My mom emailed me at work and had randomly switched from Comcast to Verizon withoout even consulting me. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!! We have a network that she relies on ffor work, wireless, and other things that need a high speed connection.

I'm positive that now she is going to have me work all the crap out. There goes my weekend, I am rather upset. Does anyone know what kind of problems I'm going to run into switching from Broadband to DSL? I have a domain set up currently.

Well, there shouldn't be any major problems. You will have to get used to slower speeds when downloading. DSL is not generally as fast as cable. What DSL plan is she getting?

I'm not sure. I tore into her pretty bad in an email and she hasnt emailed me back. I know that DLS is pretty substantially slower than cable, do you know in fact HOW much slower?

around my way DSL was upgraded from 300k/128k to 3mb/256k

cable down is 4mb in our area im not sure of the up speed prolly 256k or 512k

i think is solely dependant on the ISP's equiptment/network. ALso, with cable you share the line with a bunch of other nodes whereas with dsl you have a dedicated line to your CO

Dont forget the "Up to..." when they talk aboot speeds. That means they can give you as little bandwidth as they want, and you can really do nothing about it but threaten to go to a different ISP and maybe they will up your bandwidth. I know comcast has been known to do that, and you can alot of times get a faster connection simply by yelling at them that it is too slow and you are considering a different ISP.

Yeah, they always throw the "Up-to" statement in there. When I was on wireless that I was paying $85 per month for "Up to" 256Kbps down and 64Kbps up, I would many times only run at about 40-70Kbps down (downloads ran at 5-10 KB/sec). Here I was paying $85 per month for near dial-up services. I called and complained and they literally told me this: "It's our job to provide the service, not to make it fast." They told me I should be lucky I was getting what I was getting.

Thankfully, after getting kicked off that service for complaining and enduring 4 months of dial-up hell, Cox cable came to my area and now I get a consistent 4000Kbps down and 512Kbps up.

HAHA!!! Those bastards canceled you for complaining too much? That is hilarious!

DSL in Canada for the main part is WAAAAY faster than Cable

Cable is typically under 1 meg and DSL is 2+

Comcast is up to 4MBps for me, whihc is primarily the reason that I am so pissed off.

i keep hearing people say that cable is much faster than DSL[god you people should see the adelphia cable commercials in my area...they make me drop to the floor laughing sometimes], but a lot of the time, like a few people here said, cable promises speeds you're NEVER going to reach. also, like someone here [sort of]said, if 20 other people on your street have cable internet, it's gonna bog you down, unlike DSL. i've had verizon DSL at this house since i moved here and have never had a single problem. an added bonus is that i'm about 500ft from a CO.

as far as problems, i don't really forsee you having any. best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom