Colleges

No, you do not have to take all of those courses. If your university is like mine (I'm majoring in CIS by the way-Computer Information Systems or IT), you will select what track you want to concentrate on. We have a whole list of classes in the CIS department just like what you have up there too. But, we don't take all of it. There should be concentrations that you can pick and you will only be required to take those classes as specified by your advisor. I'm going into Telecom, but I've been leaning towards System Analysis and Design. Haven't made up my mind yet.

At first when I saw the catalog, I was like "whoa, that's a crap load of classes to take". Turns out that the catalog lists everything in the CIS dept., but you choose one track or concentration to emphasize on and that will be your major. My official title is:

Business Administration: Computer Information Systems w/ concentration in Telecommunications and Data Networks

I do have some core classes in programming to take too, but not all of it. Now the catalog don't intimidate me as much because I won't have to take half of those classes offered unless I want to waste my time and learn everything on there.

Best thing is to make an appointment with your department advisor so they can tell you what classes you need to take.

Also study smart. Don't jump right into university because it is damn hard. Start from JC and take transferable courses to a university of your choice. Make sure you see your school counselor on what you need to take to transfer your lower division courses. By the time you go to the university, you will be a junior and take upper division classes. Plus you save money because JC is cheaper than university.

Lower level or lower division generally consists of 100, 200 level classes (JC). Upper level or upper division consists of 300, 400, and some 500 level classes (university-Bacholer's and Master's degree). 500 and up is graduate program (PHd). I'm in my junior year right now and very close to my senior year. I have an internship or a senior project to do, which I'm not sure about.

I'm in my 20's so I should be there. By the way, Microsoft came down to my school yesterday to give us a prep talk on job outlook from now through 2014. It looks good for Business Admin people with IT integration. That's exactly what I'm majoring in. Marketing management for computer software and hardware will be number 1 according to Microsoft rep who spoke to us. Then Network and Telecom is right behind them. Talk about high salaries. Whew....

The guy (I forgot his name) said that you must have Business background which is why you see most universities integrate CIS, IT, MIS with Business Admin. It's a pain in the ass, but it looks good on your resume. After all, isn't most IT support, supporting businesses? We need to know business concepts to fully understand the technology integration. I hate financing and accounting of all types. I struggle to get through them, but it's worth it.

Lol in your 20's. Kinda broad, oh well, its cool if you dont wanna give your your real age.

I'm keeping a low profile, lol. Oh by the way, if you do want to learn EVERYTHING computers, you will. Even if you choose what concentration you want to get into, you are still required to take basic CIS core classes which consists of everything from system design, programming, database, web design, etc. I'm going into Telecom, but I'm required to take some programming classes, web design classes, system analysis, etc. Not all of the classes but the ones they require. That way, it gives you a feel on the whole CIS is all about. IT people need to know a little of everything these days and that's what universities provide.

Man, I'm like hard core into this. I should be his school advisor, but too bad I don't fully understand the curriculum at southern illinois university there.

I still need a bunch of core CIS classes before I can even start on my upper division CIS courses. I'm still taking a bunch of stupid upper level GE Synthesis classes and crap like that. Shesshhh. I'm only taking two classes coming up for the new quarter which starts March 27th. Already signed up for it and paid all fees. Have to buy books later and the stupid $90 parking permit.

Yeah, that list/catalog is pretty overwhelming. I just know I'm probably going to want to concentrate on more than just one thing though, like not just programming over networking or what not.. And I'm not really looking into SIu, but my stepbro is going there now so just checked out the site to take a look at the classes.

You'll probably have to end up picking one thing you want to concentrate on, but you can always take more if you wish. You'll just end up going to school a lot longer than expected. You'll be taking a variety of stuff though, even if you have to choose just one particular field you want to get into. If you're interested in other concentrations, it doesn't hurt to take a class here and there to give you more knowledge. You'll just be paying a lot more and take longer to graduate.

Back
Top Bottom