College project need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper_13

In Runtime
Hey guys, sorry i haven't been around much, just been busy with school lately.

So im really stuck on this group project we got and our teacher is more clueless than we are.

We got this project to do using sharepoint, where we need to create an IT help desk software. First off they gave us no resources or instructions on how to begin, kind of just kicked us out on the side of the curb and said good luck.

this is what the project is.

This is Semester 4 so we are all familiar with how to use server 2008r2 and all its components.

Basically the teacher just said, user sharepoint 2007, so far we have a virtual machine of the server 2008r2 with IIS installed, and sharepoint designer 2007. Now i dont have a clue what my next step would be, im not sure if we should install sharepoint server 2007 enterprise, like i dont even know what it does to be honest. I know the description says to use Server 2003 but we are more comfortable using server 2008r2 just because we have been using it for the last 2 years.

So really guys any help would be very much appreciated.

Project Description

Your team has been hired to create a Help Desk/Knowledge Base solution for XYZ Technology Company. The following is a break down of the employees that will be using the Help Desk portal and their associated job functions.

Three Help Desk associates who will need to use the help desk for tracking tickets and searching for solutions in the knowledge base.
One Help Desk Portal designer who will be responsible maintaining the help desk portal once it has been deployed.
One Web Portal administrator who will be responsible for the portal server(s).

This company currently employs the following Microsoft products:

Servers OS's – Primarily Windows 2003/2008 Servers
Desktop OS's - Windows XP and Windows 7 Professional
Desktop productivity software – Microsoft Office Suite

In order to leverage the existing investments in Microsoft software products, lowering the total cost of a new help desk system a Microsoft Solution is preferred. For this reason, XYZ has requested that Share Point technologies be the foundation for the Help Desk portal.

Deploying Microsoft Share Point Products, Technologies and Web Parts will be relatively simple (no application programming required) and these technologies will integrate well with the existing Microsoft Office applications that XYZ end users are familiar with.

Your team will need to plan, implement and test the Help Desk system using the following software components:

Microsoft Server 2003
IIS Version 6 and POP3 mail services
Microsoft Share point services and Share point Portal 2003
Help Desk Dashboard Template for Share point Services
Note: You will want to install the template before creating a site. Use the stsadm.exe utility to import the help desk templates. See here for details.

Your first step is to research Microsoft Share point services and Share point portal technologies. See the following references:
MSDN SharePoint Portal 2003 Technical Information
Read the SharePoint Portal Server with MSDE installation procedures
Read about SharePoint Services Application Templates

We are not here to do your school work for you either. We will help explain results or help you to find information to get results but we will not flat out give answers to homework or school work questions. School is for learning. Getting the answers handed to you is not going to help anyone in the end. Any topic of such matter will be instantly closed.

As stated right in our rules. Sorry but we cant tell you what your supposed to do. If your stuck as the teacher for assistance.

im not really asking for an answer im asking for guidance in regards to what sharepoint server is and how it will work with IIS and sharepoint designer. When i tried installing Sharepoint server 2007 on 2008r2 server, it gave me an error as well. so i dont know what im doing wrong here.

im just having a hard time knowing what to install first. i mean the school should have had this all setup for us but obviously they dont care much. I installed Sharepoint server 2007 after making it a sp2 slipstream, and tried installing the template but i get nothing like in that video.

Well if you want to know what Sharepoint is, just go to their website.

What is SharePoint? - SharePoint Capabilities

I'm sure they will be able to tell you more about what their product is than any of us. I mean you cant really expect them to set it up for you. Would you expect the company you work for to do everything for you? No you have to do somethings yourself or you dont learn. Just like our statement in the rules reads, getting the answers handed to you will not help you learn. If we told you what it is and how it works with IIS and Designer, you would have the answers handed to you and you wouldnt learn this for yourself.

I know that there is instructions available on how to use the software via various Microsoft sites just like i know there is troubleshooting assistance on how to get it working properly. Sorry i know it sounds like I am being harsh about this but we cant help you. This is for school and it is something that you need to be able to figure out for yourself and not have handed to you. Our rules specifically state we wont assist with School Stuff when it comes to figuring out how to do something. We will help you understand the results or the outcome. But we will not assist you getting there.

Topic Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom