College Ideas

Well, they're was a networking major at the college. I had 4 classes of Cisco that discussed all things relating to subnets/binary/switches/vpn's/the 7 layer model/etc. I don't use it very often, but it was a good to know.

I also had 3 classes of Novell = total waste of time (for me).

And 3 classes of Microsoft. 1 of XP/Clients, 1 of Server '03, 1 of combining the 2 elements (servers and clients). Great class.

I also took a super basic programming (Visual Basic) class that was required. Thank God it was only 1 class....

I had 2 'PC Troubleshooting' classes. Very helpful for me because at the time I made my decision to go into Computers, I had never even opened a computer before. The 1st was a hardware, the 2nd a software. Very helpful for me, but would be SUPER boring now.

Then there were 2 Electircal Engineering classes I got put in by accident. One was all about circuits. It was pretty cool and I got to build several basic circuits with switchs and LED's and AND/OR/NOR/etc chips and resistors... Pretty cool stuff.
The other was a basic CAD class. Was interesting enough.

I started at a differnet college for a different career before I switched so I didn't have to take any Math/Science/English. It was a 2 year degree so my day was basically Microsoft in the morning, lunch, Cisco in the afternoon, go home.

I think most anything you go to college for you have to understand the concepts that the computer runs on, so you will have to do math. Once in the field I doubt you will use math much. I'm taking Computer Maintenance and I've had to take both Electronics and Digital as well as basic College Algebra. All those have math in them. Although both Electronics and Digital are basic concepts for several different majors.

I think most anything you go to college for you have to understand the concepts that the computer runs on, so you will have to do math. Once in the field I doubt you will use math much. I'm taking Computer Maintenance and I've had to take both Electronics and Digital as well as basic College Algebra. All those have math in them. Although both Electronics and Digital are basic concepts for several different majors.

Isn't the math just basic algebra?

As I said earlier, computing is a very broad field and whether you use maths or not really depends on what you go into. Maintaining / repairing them, maintaining or building networks, installing software, imaging - none of that will really use maths. Programming in itself - nope, no maths there.

Drill down into the depths of MD5 hashing, blowfish encryption, TCP error correction and so on; you WILL use maths, no doubt about it.

You should check out environmental science. It's a very broad field but lots options.

I work on the computer everyday and repair and troubleshoot and calibrate environmental monitoring equipment.

Back
Top Bottom