College Graduates - Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda interesting to look at, im going into my senior year of high school right now. Planning on going to a fairly large college not too far from home, but im gonna stay on campus at least the first year. I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering and design, autocad and stuff. A lot of the things that i've read form the school ect say that average income right out of college for their graduates in that major was around 60k a year, and that with the baby boomer generation all retiring that jobs will be available when i graduate. But this is gonna be like >10k a year at least, maybe more. I work part time at a grocery store, but im gonna depend on my parents and student loans to get me through.

This is kinda interesting to look at, im going into my senior year of high school right now. Planning on going to a fairly large college not too far from home, but im gonna stay on campus at least the first year. I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering and design, autocad and stuff. A lot of the things that i've read form the school ect say that average income right out of college for their graduates in that major was around 60k a year, and that with the baby boomer generation all retiring that jobs will be available when i graduate. But this is gonna be like >10k a year at least, maybe more. I work part time at a grocery store, but im gonna depend on my parents and student loans to get me through.

Yeah, I've found it depends a lot on where you live. Sure, somebody that graduated with me may start at an average of 47k a year, but what about in my area? The job market is absolute garbage right now, it's just unreal. And what is available isn't paying copious salaries either. I'd be better off moving to the great plains in Iowa at this rate.

Then again, my job is the type that makes it up with benefits... so if/when I land a full time position, get a raise, benefits, etc, I'd be more on par with everything. But, alas, right now it sucks. weeeee!

I did the two-year college thing also. I'm glad I did. I worked my buns off paying as I went in school. I still ended up with $5000 in student loans. Not too bad. They're all paid off now.

When I graduated, I got a huge raise. I was so happy. I did climb the ladder over a 5 year period. From rookie-whale-s***, because nothing is lower than whale poo, to lead technician. As lead tech I had a lot of responsibility, but the pay was good.

about 3 years ago, I got a call from the "big boys" in town. Negotiated a $10/hour raise and decided to work for them. I was told that I make more than the engineers I work for. :D

i spent two years in school so i could go teach ungrateful little bas***s how to write a term paper. decided to take up the family biznezz and now gross 75K along with a company that i am building that grosses almost 2 million a year.
screw college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom