College food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
So I move into my dorm tomorrow as a new freshmen. I'm pretty much set, taking 3 computers, a stereo, clothes, bike, etc. One thing has been bugging me though. How the **** am I gonna eat? I know Ramen is the staple of the college diet and I like it and I am good at making it, except the dorm will only allow microwaves as far as cooking appliances. So I ask you TF, what is the best way to nuke Ramen? Also I am a Starbucks addict. I admit it. But $4 for a grande mocha every morning is something I just cant pull. Ive been looking around and there are many homemade frappucino recipes, but I'm not sure which to go with. I do have a coffee machine that my dad has given me but I haven't used it before. Anyone have a good recipe or know where to go to get one?

don't you have a meal plan? most college cafeterias aren't that bad...

and surely they have like a community kitchen for the dorm that has at least a microwave lol

We nuke noodle bowls for 2:30, stir, then another 2 mins. Works great but our microwave is weak.

For home made recipes for coffee I actually have an espresso machine (no longer in use) and you could steam milk or buy a little frother for like $20. There's not much of a cheap way around good coffee.

My list of good college foods:
Llyod's BBQ
frozen waffles
soup, chili, etc (most are microwaveable)
Other canned stuff, ravioli, etc.
Swanson's/Banquet $1 frozen dinners
frozen sandwiches (panini's etc)
hot dogs

The list goes on and on. You've got a mini-fridge, right? Just whatever fits in there and can be eaten cold or nuked.

I do have a mini fridge. And yes I have a meal plan but its 5 meals a week, and you can bet I will be using them for lunch, so that leaves me with my own breakfast and dinner. And to my knowledge there is no community kitchen.

You can buy one of those stove burners that plugs into the wall and a toaster oven. That should take care of the other kitchen aspects if need be. They're not too expensive.

And I forgot about microwave burritos! Gotta have those!

They don't allow those in my dorm. Only microwaves. No toasters, toaster ovens or anything like that, that uses a heated metal coil. Its a fire hazard I guess. What about using my Iron to make grilled cheese? Or is that just a bad idea? lol.

Option A, 1. Get a job at a fast food joint and get on the breakfast or night shift.
2. Munch.
Option B, get your dorm mates all together and have a weekly dorm food fest.
Option C, get a job at the uni's food court and follow step 2 above.
Option D, hit Wal Mart and fill up on those samples they are always passing out.

dude if you have a microwave you're set lol just buy a ton of cheap food you can nuke for breakfast/dinner. A job at a fast food place is a great idea too...a lot of rules about keeping things fresh so if it sets out longer than like 10-15 minutes they dump it...so i'm sure they would let you eat it lol

really? wow that sucks....all of the local burger kings around here have a "old fry bucket" or some bs lol...after 7 (i think) minutes they dump them in it and they're free to eat-to the workers of course- because they aren't considered "fresh" anymore lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom