Coby Netbook bootloader not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

PghJuggalo

Beta member
Hello,

I have a Coby Netbook that I got from a co-worker and had to reinstall Windows XP on it from a thumb drive. It worked fine for months until a couple days ago and I had to reinstall the OS from the thumb drive(the keyboard and touch pad stopped working when Windows boot up). Now there's something not right in the boot.ini file on the hard drive. I've copied the lines from the boot.ini file on the thumb drive to the boot.ini file on the hard drive and it still doesn't work right. The line from the flash drive that boots XP is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect

Even if I copy and paste it to the boot.ini on the hard drive, it tells me the system can't boot because of an error in the configuration. I've even tried copying the whole boot.ini file to the hard drive. I can't figure out how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

PghJuggalo

You will have to use a 3rd party partition software like GParted to find out the partitions on the drive. From what I see that is saying that it is disk 1 partition 3. Since it starts with partition aero and goes up from there. So it could be that it isnt configured properly. It might have to be switch to:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect

Thanks for your reply,

I tried what you have suggested, and it didn't work either. I have the BIOS set to boot from the hard drive. The partition software shows the windows partition is partition 2. The boot.ini file from the thumb drive reads:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

Maybe that can help you out.

PghJuggalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom