Coast Guard to set oil spill on fire

foothead

Omnicide now.
Oh I can just imagine all the environmentalists' response to this.

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/04/27/2135072/coast-guard-may-set-spilled-oil.html

according to the radio, they are going to do it as soon as weather permits.

I seriously wonder how they plan to keep this contained. The only oil burns I hear of are small ones, close to shore. Also, how the F is wildlife gonna be protected like they claim?

Lol I really hope they take some sattelite images of this. That would be epic.

I say do it. The effect on air pollution will be negligible at best. No worse than what already happens to the air. It will also get rid of more of the oil than anything else. I'd just wish they'd light the whole 600 mile spot on fire at the same time instead of small burns.

In all actuality, it may be better to burn it. I don't care what environmentalists say. If all that oil washes ashore, think about what will happen.... Beaches shut down for months (albeit during high travel months) wildlife being destroyed, etc....

Right now, the main issue is that it is approaching wetlands. Louisiana would be totally screwed if it made it here.

It seems that they are gonna burn 500 feet at a time. Do they really expect to get anywhere with that?

They are preparing to lower a 100 ton concrete dome thing onto the source. Gotta wonder how this is gonna work... How do they expect to hit a target 5000 feet underwater with this thing?

Btw, does anybody know what you call such a thing?

I think >>THINK<< they are basically going to put this huge dome thing ontop to act as a 'funnel' to funnel the oil all out of 1 specific point, rather than huge holes (or whetever its coming out at the moment). Then it should be easier to control / maintain / block up / divert / Whatever they plan on doing with it.

That is the plan, but I cannot see them getting it in place.

I wish we would do it the russian way, and just nuke it. That is how they deal with their oils spills.

Btw it should be called the kraken. Release the Kraken!!!!!

Lol... yes!

Or 'Hounds'... Like Mr Burns, in the simpsons that one episode...

I dont know how big the funnel is compared to the holes. I suppose if you have it (picking figures out the air) 2miles in diameter, and the hole(s) are 0.8m in diameter, theres a good chance it will get in place.

However, theres surely all problems with the lay of the land, and all that pressure etc.

You know that they make pressure suits for divers and submersibles so that they can actually position this thing accurately?

Sure, im fully expecting it to be positioned correctly.

If it was an easy 'quick fix' solution such as this, why didnt they do it a week ago?

Maybe the construction of the funnel? Then theres probably a lot of problems that arise with the pressure / oil etc etc.

As I say though im confident. I mean can you imagine the scientists / head of operations being asked:

'So when you decided to drop a 100 tonne piece of concrete into the sea, did you not think of X, Y and Z'

We will see how it develops..

When they burn it, it's gonna have the punisher face burning in it. As a message to those environmentalists.

Punisher.jpg

In all seriousness, the oil is all spread out, and burning it wouldn't work I think. I don't have great expectations for this plug either...
Some people say this is America's Chernobyl, I'm not so sure it's on that level though...

Back
Top Bottom