Clueless about Networking: Help working with DSL?

Whitesugar

Beta member
Dear Users,
Before starting I just wanted to mention I am completely unfamiliar with anything that has to do with Networking. Our current computer has Earthlink DSL (1.5 MBit) Service and is running Windows XP. It is connecting to the internet using Earthlink's standard modem they sent out with every signup, which envolves the basic ethernet/phone jack cables. I'm saying this just incase it is needed. Anyways.. After finding the need to place another seperate computer in my mother's room directly next to mine (or rather behind me) we are attempting to figure out how to share the same connection. The other computer will be purchased once we get all the information sorted and understand what we are going to have to do. The one I'm using now is a Dell made back in early 2000ish, so it is a tad "old". The other will be a recent HP model, so.. not old!. Though I have used the search function to try and solve my problem, I get myself lost in the conversation very easily.

Is there any way you could provide a STEP BY STEP instruction of how to hook up a networking device to share Earthlink's DSL?. Would this cost us ANY extra money in our bill?. Would we be able to be on the internet at the very same time?.

And better yet, with your instructions, please provide us an exact router we would buy for the process. Because we live around New Orleans there aren't many computer places open so our only option would be Walmart. Maybe even a link to the router we should buy from the Online store would be nice. I don't want to sound cheap, but let's just say inexpensive is best.

Thank you in advance for answering any questions. Much appreciated. Please pardon my english and grammar also! I hope it isn't a problem.

Edit: Just to note, both computers are/will be Desktops. No laptops or anything.

Looks like you'll be need a wireless connection (recommended). You can route cables if you wish but that just looks ugly and be all over the place.
Here's what I would do. Purchase the following:

1 wireless router
D-Link DI-524 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Router - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

1 wireless USB adapter (I prefer the PCI adapter, but this one is plug and play through a USB port and is super easy to install)
D-Link DWL-G122 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127151

Place the new wireless router near your computer or somewhere in your room. You're going to hardwire this one to the back of your PC using the supplied Ethernet cable. The USB adapter is for the other computer in the other room. That plugs in to a USB port.

The Earthlink modem should have an Internet port or a WAN port on the back somewhere. You're going to plug that cable (already attached to the WAN port to the back of the Earthlink modem) to the back of the D-Link wireless router, where it says LAN or something like that. Then connect the ethernet cable from the back of your computer's NIC to Port 1 on the new wireless router.

Power on both computers and you should have internet connection.

you'll be fine...you'll never have to pay extra if you set up a router...routers are great.
they're very easy to set up once you get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom