Clicking Hard drive

damian5000

Baseband Member
My hard drive clicks when writing / accessing. Every item of its SMART status checks as okay and always passes. I did a quick sector test and everything checks out fine.

It's a soft click and the drive seems to otherwise be working fine. Just a click when it starts to write / access. For instance when downloading a file, as it accesses to write the information intermittently, it will click.

Please, only people that really know about hard drives answer this. I've read in some places it's normal, but in others they say it's a sign of the drive failing, but my guess is most people who say this have read it from somewhere else. Nothing personal, I just don't want regurgetated stuff people read off the net or heard from some computer shop or supposed expert.

Thanks much!

If it clicks constantly, then its a sign of a problem.

Mine clicks for instance when I switch my computer on. I have two drives, in RAID 1. One clicks, you hear it power up, and then the other clicks and that one powers up.

One or both click sometimes when accessing data too, but its not all the time. I've just seen it as normal though, as it only does it a few times a day if that.

ok, wouldn't SMART show some sign if there was an issue??

I actually have to have my ear a few inches from the drive to hear it, but it's definitely there and it happens every time it goes to access the drive. It's in a USB enclosure and I think it's done it ever since I got it.

Maybe it has something to do with the interface?

If you are using an IDE/ PATA interface, they tend to click a little. But it could also be that your drive is failing. Have you noticed a recent slowdown in drive access speed? Specifically since the clicking began?

And holy crap. I think you're the first member I've seen that has one bar of rep and 4 posts. Congratz. :)

It's an SATA interface. Cheap $10 USB enclosure. I have noticed today that the light on the front of the enclosure was off and would flash on every 5 seconds or so. I unplugged the USB and replugged it in and it seemed to work fine again, but I went to play a movie from it, it seemed to be struggling. The light shut off for a few seconds and then it juiced itself up and started working fine again. I don't know if it's the interface or the drive its self.

1) Could this be the interface or does it sound more like the hard drive itself?

2) If SMART signifies everything AOK, it doesn't necessarily mean everything's okay?

3) How long does WD usually take to get a new drive out (it's under warranty until July).

4) Does anyone know if WD will backup the data currently on the drive to the replacement drive?

Thanks much,
Damian

It sounds like the drive itself unfortunately. Sometimes shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it. I guess you just got a lemon. But yeah, go through WD and get a replacement since it's under warranty still. And yeah, you should back up your data onto a 10 dollar USB drive.

If its struggling, it does indeed seem to be the drive.

When mine clicks, it can stop loading something for the period, which is hardly noticable, but it shouldn't have to power up again after a click

Can you take it out of the enclosure and plug it up using SATA, or is it a drive that cannot be taken out of its casing?

Back it up as quick as possible so if it does die, nothings lost. Get a one ASAP, and back everything back up to that.

1) The clicking doesn't necessarily indicate a drive going out. A click here and there is fine. When they start to click every time it reads and writes, a failure is sure to follow. Double check all connections inside and out to make sure the data cables are firmly seated.

2) SMART is a very reliable tool and good indicator of drive problems. There are a few instances where it may miss a problem, but those are rare.

3) They are fairly quick. It may take a few days for them to get a new drive out after the receipt of the bad drive.

4)They do not back up the data. That responsiblity lies solely on you. be sure to grab everything you need off the drive before you unplug it and pack it up.

1) The clicking doesn't necessarily indicate a drive going out. A click here and there is fine. When they start to click every time it reads and writes, a failure is sure to follow. Double check all connections inside and out to make sure the data cables are firmly seated.

2) SMART is a very reliable tool and good indicator of drive problems. There are a few instances where it may miss a problem, but those are rare.

3) They are fairly quick. It may take a few days for them to get a new drive out after the receipt of the bad drive.

4)They do not back up the data. That responsiblity lies solely on you. be sure to grab everything you need off the drive before you unplug it and pack it up.

That same day I posted this, the SMART reported imminent failure. Within several hours my drive was unable to read portions of the drive.

Unfortunately the most valuable part of the drive (my pictures of Thailand with my GF) have become unreadable... ... Ah well.. I will try and copy them one by one and see what I can get out of it. I haven't been using it lately... Waiting for the replacement to arrive from WD.

Thanks much for all who replied. I guess drives clicking really isn't a good thing....

-Damian

Wow. When they go, they really go.

If it gives out on you and you still have files to get off of it, try the "freezer trick". Remove the drive, place it in a ziplock bag, and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Then reinstall it in your comp. This should give you some time to get your files transferred over.

Back
Top Bottom