Cleaning Hard drive

dmc14

Solid State Member
Hey all,

My PC has been running slower and starting up slower here lately and I know its past due for a hard drive clean up. I would like to reformat it and re install my Windows XP but the problem is I dont have the disk.
When I bought the PC I bought it from best buy, which means I never recieved the Windows XP installation disk. So what I was wondering is if I can delete everything on my hard drive except for just the Windows XP as if it was a fresh install on a new drive.

Hey all,

My PC has been running slower and starting up slower here lately and I know its past due for a hard drive clean up. I would like to reformat it and re install my Windows XP but the problem is I dont have the disk.
When I bought the PC I bought it from best buy, which means I never recieved the Windows XP installation disk. So what I was wondering is if I can delete everything on my hard drive except for just the Windows XP as if it was a fresh install on a new drive.

As in delete your files? No.
Do that but also defragment it, ccleaner it and also preform a disk cleanup.
It should run faster then.

There is no way of going back to a fresh install. Is it possible that it could have a recovery partition.

Did it not even come with a restore disk? It might (in fact, won't) be an XP disk, it'll most likely be labelled "system restore" or similar.

I'm afraid though if you haven't got one then the best thing you can do (short of purchasing / using another OS) is run the above tools and hope they sort it out.

Well I do have a disk around here somewhere that belongs to our other Dell PC that I have used on this PC and it restores the system back to fresh. Ive used it before but I didnt want to go through the hassle of it again. I was just checking if there was another way. And also I used Ccleaner a few days ago and I usually defrag after installing or uninstalling big programs and just regularly. But thanks for your responses!

Definitely not. Do not never ever delete any operating system files or folders. As it will make the situation worse. Just follow some simple steps and you'll get your PC back in action. Search for a windows operating system disc or driver over the internet. Download them to the system and copy them in a disc as bootable cd. And start formatting your system using the disc. Its simple.

Back
Top Bottom