Clean Slate an SSD for Storage

JK2900

Solid State Member
I just bought a new 250GB SSD to use as my main drive for my OS.

Previously I've been using an 80GB SSD for this purpose.

I just finished installing windows and my drivers to the new 250 GB drive. How can I delete windows and all other data from my old 80 GB so that I can use it as a basic storage drive? :confused::confused:

Thanks for the help,
JK29

If you have the free space I'd recommend copying the files/data you want to keep off of the 80GB on to another media (could even be the SSD temporarily) and then reformatting the 80GB before copying your data back to it.

The windows files will be heavily protected with varying degrees of NTFS permissions. There is also hidden system volume information, etc that is hard to delete. Just reformatting the drive is the easiest way to clear it all off.

EDIT: Just make sure you have a good backup of everything before doing anything.

If you have the free space I'd recommend copying the files/data you want to keep off of the 80GB on to another media (could even be the SSD temporarily) and then reformatting the 80GB before copying your data back to it.

The windows files will be heavily protected with varying degrees of NTFS permissions. There is also hidden system volume information, etc that is hard to delete. Just reformatting the drive is the easiest way to clear it all off.

EDIT: Just make sure you have a good backup of everything before doing anything.

Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing on the 80GB drive that I want to keep. I truly just want to erase the drive then use it for storage. I went to disk manager, right clicked on the drive, and the "format" option was grayed out. I'm not sure what to do next. :pcmad:

in Disk Management, Right-click on each partition listed for the 80gb disk, and select delete. Then right click in the blank space and select new simple volume. Then you should be able to create a freshly formatted partition.

in Disk Management, Right-click on each partition listed for the 80gb disk, and select delete. Then right click in the blank space and select new simple volume. Then you should be able to create a freshly formatted partition.

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I just re installed Windows b/c I was getting an error "Failure Configuring Windows Updates. Reverting Changes."

I think I'm back on track now though.

Back
Top Bottom