Clean Install of Vista 64 - Now I cannot find video driver

PoWdA

Baseband Member
So long story short...

My Gateway T-1625 Notebook crashed - would not boot. I installed a copy of Vista premium 64 bit and everything is running smooth except for anything requiring a video card. I have searched Gateway's site up and down for drivers but nothing is working. I have downloaded the ATI Driver as well - no dice. I feel like I have installed every driver possible for this thing and nothing is working. I am stuck here and after toying with this video card for a week I am stumped. I have also tried using a restore CD from gateway. It is supposedly supposed to bring my laptop back to factory settings but when I run the disk it simply applys some updates and nothing noticable changes. The second disk is supposed to be drivers but I am finding no executable files on the disk and if I point device manager to the second disc no drivers are found.

Any advice? I am lost here.

I have been to that link many times. Notice that if you click vista 64 drivers there are none for the motherboard or graphics card. Do I have to go back to 32?

Hey everyone I really appreciate the help!

After trying the last driver I am finding that my only option is going to be to go back to Vista 32 bit and download all of the drivers that came on the PC. Does anyone know why they would put a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine from the factory? It makes no sense to me... Anyway I guess I have 4 gigs of memory for sale now as the 4 I got for Vista 64 will do no good on a 32 bit OS, or so I hear... This is correct right?

Once again thank you for the help. I am going to be building my first PC in a few weeks. I will be sure to post questions here as so far the members here have been nothing but helpful!

You should try contacting Gateway to see if there are any drivers available for Vista x64.

They have told me that since my laptop is out of warranty they basically do limited support. You would think a 64 bit machine would come with a 64 bit OS or at least have 64 bit drivers available right?

Guess not.

I will try them again but I am not holding my breath.

You can still use the 4GB of memory. Vista 32 will support the full 4GB, but your hardware is going to allocate some of the address space (not the physical RAM) to the PCI bus, the video adapter memory address space, and other resources. 32-bit OSs need to use part of the full 4GB address space to address these resources, subtracting from the maximum memory you have available to the OS and applications. Most people see around 3 - 3.5GB reported as available by the OS.

Back
Top Bottom