Choosing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathfreq

Solid State Member
I'm putting together parts for a new PC and I need some help selecting my RAM. Here's what I have picked out so far for the system:

Motherboard: DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
CPU: Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Video Card: 6800GT 256MB (I'm thinking MSI NX6800GT)

I've been considering a DDR400 matched memory pair from Corsair for a total of 1GB RAM, with the vague notion that I could take advantage of my mobo's dual channel support, but I honestly have no idea whether this is a good choice or not. Any sort of feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

if you don't plan on overclocking corsair valuekit will more than suit you, however I'm still prone to suggesting these:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062

Not only are they good, cheap RAM, but if you ever decide you want to try overclocking them they will....They need lots of voltage to shine when it comes to overclocking, but with that motherboard you've got, giving em voltage won't be a problem.

if i had money, i would get OCZ Performance or Corsair XMS, i bought that, and I can tell you, you won't regrert it..

Hmmm, those arent that much more expensive than the ValueRAM.

What ICs and PCBs do those use. Newegg doesnt seem to give enough info for me to figure it out (probably due to being a n00b)?

Unless you're overclocking you don't need performance RAM and it's a complete waste of money.

Corsair XMS sucks in terms of overclocking......and generally the people who say "NAH ITS GREAT RAM" leave it at stock and come to the assumption it's great simply because it works........well I should hope that that expensive ass RAM simply works when using it at stock settings.

Corsair I believe uses TCCDs but don't use brainpower PCB which is basically the best PCB design out there........if you want 250MHz+ clock easily you want

G.Skill LAs
OCZ Platinum Rev2s
PQI Turbos
Patriot XBLs

or the voltage extreme lines from both OCZ and mushkin, that as the name suggests, needs lots of voltages which that board can handle.

Those TwinMOS however are cheap as hell, will serve his purposes, and if he wants to overclock, he will be able to unlike corsair valueRAM or even OCZ

Unless you're overclocking you don't need performance RAM and it's a complete waste of money.

I agree with that.

You must have missed my question, above:
"What ICs and PCBs do those use?" (The TwinMOS)

Hmm, so the TwinMOS are cheap and will work well whether or not I decide to overclock? Sounds like a pretty safe bet, then. Much appreciated!

lol... how many times have you recommended those Nubius? You recommend those so much... I think I'm gonna have to get me some, even though I already have decent RAM. haha.

You must have missed my question, above:
"What ICs and PCBs do those use?" (The TwinMOS)
oh no actually I thought you were talking to the dude above my last post and was asking about the corsair.

Depends on the numbers on the serial...believe if it ends in A4TT then they are Winbond BH-5 or CH-5 chips, Twinmos is listed on that RAM listings I linked in that other site

Twinmos/Winbond DDR400 (2,5-3-3-6) --chip--> Could be Winbond BH-5, CH-5, look at the chips
not sure of the PCB, but I know it's not brainpower, you can tell by looking at the RAM in the pics on newegg

Math - lol well all RAM SHOULD work when you get it......if it doesn't simply RMA it, but yeah it's a "diamon in the rough" sort of RAM...cheap, reliable, and will still OC well..

EDIT:
lol... how many times have you recommended those Nubius? You recommend those so much... I think I'm gonna have to get me some, even though I already have decent RAM. haha.
A lot....because it's good for beginners who might not necessarily want to OC now, but everyone gets the itch down the road.......the RAM in itself isnt "beginners" ram by any means, but they WILL overclock and then as a bonus...if you don't want to overclock they are cheap as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom