Cheaprer alternative for web conferencing/remote support/remote access system

sam101

Beta member
Is there any cheaper alternative to these expensive Web conferencing/remote support/remote access systems? I am asking this because I am using these systems and somewhere in the back of my mind I feel as if I am spending too much on them?

ok not sure about conferencing but for remote support and remote access use,

logmein.com

if u wish choose the pro but the free version works great

Why dont you go for appliances which allow web conferencing collaboration as well as remote access and remote support? Check out Rhub's TurboMeeting - http://www.rhubcom.com/ . It allows everything you mentioned by paying just a one time fee and then you own the appliance. No monthly charges or additional charges for extra users. Seems quite cost effective to me.

Two thoughts on remote access. First, I don't know what OS you are using but you can always check out RDC, with comes with XP Pro, and I am sure some versions of Vista. Also, you have the option of VNC, which is similar to RCP.

Second, you i don't know if you are fimiliar with linux or command line, but you could always set up a SSH server on your computer so that you con SSH to it and use command line to move around it. The only differnce is that there isn' a nice GUI for you to see.

Cheers!

For remote access and assistance, I'm using a nice little util called Ultra VNC. Go to uvnc.com and check it out. It's built off vnc as wmorri suggested. Basically how this works is you can create a server that hosts a static public address (or router port forwards requests from the specific port to your server pc) that listens for requests from remote users (any remote user - not just in your network), you create an .exe for remote users to click and install in their memory (does not install permanently). This .exe then sends a request to your server that you're sitting at (so the server can be your pc as long as your router port forwards the requests of this port to your pc) and you accept and voila you're in the requester's pc.
Just check out the link and read up on it. You can have it set up in less than 30 minutes or so. Now I'm sounding like I'm advertising for them, I'm not though. Any questions about it, just start another thread and we'll try to help out.

Back
Top Bottom