changing hard drive

Your old hard drive is a SATA format. There is no sata connector for external drives on your new computer. I have no idea what you're currently using to connect the old drive to the new computer, but it's probably incorrect.

Go here, you will most likely want one of these to put your old hard drive in, then connect it via USB to your new computer. Pull all your old data off and then re-format the drive.

There is a plug in for my hard drive on the back of my new computer. both of these are SATA formats. newbie it says go here, but where is here?

The drive that im trying to plug into my computer is not the external hard drive. its the actual hard drive from my old dell computer

Well, my original post DID have a link to external hard drive enclosures that allowed you to take your SATA drive and plug them into a USB drive. But, if there is a SATA connector on the back of your new computer, I didn't see it anywhere in the pics.

Basically, plug in the old hard drive, go into bios, and set your internal hard drive as the primary drive. Set your old as the slave. You should be able to start up the computer then.

Just go to newegg and look for external hard drive enclosures. You'll find plenty there.

There is a plug in for my hard drive on the back of my new computer.

No there's not.

both of these are SATA formats.

Yeah, that means INTERNALLY they would connect the same way. There's no connection for just a RAW SATA drive on the back of your new computer. Even if it had an eSATA port, the old hard drive would have to be powered, hence, you need an external enclosure or an external converter.

You need one of these (or this one).

I found a usb 2.0 to sata hard drive adapter and i have it plugged up to my computer. it lets me view the files on my old hard drive but wont let me copy them to my computer. it says i need to set administrator permissions and i have. it still says access denied. what do i need to do to set my permissions correctly?

Back
Top Bottom