Certain drive letters give corrupted drive icon

Zekester2097

In Runtime
let's rewind time to about 2 years ago, around when I first got my day-to-day laptop. I used to have AVG installed on it. I used the file safe thing that came with it. It'd show the safe as a separate drive, on the "This PC" page. It'd have it's own special icon with a picture of a lock on it. Ever since I uninstalled AVG, any drive that uses the letter F, or G. It would show up as a blank piece of paper. I'll show you in the picture I attached... Would it be able to undo whatever AVG did to the icon? I tried the tool that removes every bit of AVG, incase it didn't fully uninstall, but it did nothing...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 3
Did you try formatting (this will remove everything off that drive letter obviously)

I mean, anything that uses the letter would have that icon for some reason. I've tried many different flash drives, and even the USB DVD drive (the one in the picture as F:\)

I suggest doing it manually with the guide I posted above.

Also, what build of Win10 are you on? I see that you have the background color behind your text on your inactive titlebars - which was on 10240 when using the custom theme tweak...I suggest updating to the latest build (in this case, the Anniversary Edition v1607).

Yeah, In this thread, http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/brightness-broken-windows-10-build-14342-a-277713/ you'd see my attemps to update my Windows 10. Long story short, updating from 10240 on my Toshiba would cause the brightness settings to screw up, leaving my screen at 100% brightness (at night, I'd be blind lol), and the Gadgets Revived application broke, so I couldn't use them anymore... I've simply given up, and disabled Windows Update all together, since every build it updates me to ends up breaking them.

-------------update
along the way, I got an "access denied" error on 2 of the files. I signed out and back in, and the problem is still there.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I can understand the brightness bit, but you shouldn't be using gadgets anymore anyway - they were removed due to security issues.

Did the drive(s) you inserted have a autorun.inf file in its root directory? If it does, try deleting it.

Back
Top Bottom