Cell charging intermittent

CrackerJacker1

Daemon Poster
I have a ZTE ZMAX which is a popular phone at Walmart. I'm not sure if you guys from England have walmarts probably not.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zmax-Smartphone/39150756

Anyways, the usb cable kind of locks in place but I guess it's a little loose. If you move the phone just a little bit. It will stop charging. It's very frustrating because I'm stuck in deployment with a tiny bed and I keep my phone next to my face to make sure I wake up but when I wake up it hardly even charged! I use it as a alarm clock which makes it even more frustrating because it could possible that it could die.
I used my buddies USB cable same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6p0Eg-yq3A
Looking at this video seems to be the best solution, but I don't have anything small enough to really fit yet.
Also the guy on utube video says to take the battery otherwise you could short circuit your phone. Unfortunately, they made this phone with a non-removable battery!
T-Mobile Suspends ZTE Zmax Sales Because People Are Idiots | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
I was thinking about draining it all the way down to the phone turns off but I don't think that will put the battery to 0%:eek:

EDIT: Yeah yeah, I just saw the cell phone section in the lower part of the forum

Last edited:
Li ion like LiPo do not like it when you drain them completely. They do nasty things like catch fire and burn out of control.

Get some tuner cleaner spray and spray some in the socket on the phone and in the end of the USB plug on the cord. Plug it in several times then blow out with canned air. Sounds like either the plugs are corroded or the socket in the phone is worn out. They will do that over time especially on the really cheap phones. And the batteries DO have a limited life span.

Be glad it's not a LiPo battery. You give big bucks for those and they are doing good if they make 500 cycles.

If it is the charging port you can have it replaced at about any phone repair shop. It is usually a fairly cheap repair.

If you decide to replace your phone I can recommend the Asus Zenphone 2. I have the red 64GB version. The 64GB version has 4GB of RAM, an Intel Atom Z3580 CPU, a 5.5" 1080p screen, and a 13MP camera. The 64GB runs $299 and comes in red, black, silver, and gold. The $199 version has 16GB of storage, 2GB of RAM, an Intel Atom Z3560 CPU, and the same screen and camera. The 16GB comes in black and silver. Killer phone at a killer price.

Amazon.com: ASUS ZenFone 2 Unlocked Smartphone, 16GB, Silver (U.S. Warranty): Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm not from England!

Anyways, is the USB cable you're using one that came bundled with the phone? I had this problem before where some devices don't like some generic USB cables.

Try to not make it a habit to keep your cell phone close to your head or heart. The waves could hurt (God forbid) in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom