cd rom drive acting up, can't boot form cd to use windows installation disk

camosilver311

In Runtime
I am getting the blue screen of death coming out of hibernate and standby modes on my desktop running xp pro sp3. The error is as follows:

kernel_stack_inpage_error Stop: 0x00000077 (0xc000000e, 0xc000000e, 0x00000000, 0x007a2000)

I was told to try using the windows installation disk to try the repair option, but I am running into problems there too.

I tried using my windows installation disc to do the repair, but I got this error:

stop: c0000221 unknown hard error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

I googled this and the fix for this is to replace the ntdll.dll file. Should be simple, right? Well, looks like you can't just download a new ntdll.dll file and copy/replace. No, you need to use your windows installation disc! Unfortunately, not only can I not get into recovery due to the error above, but I can't even get the damn cd-rom drive to boot the damn CD now. The cd-rom drive IS set as the first device in the boot priority and it WAS working perfectly fine until today (booting from cd), but now it just won't boot from the cd. You can hear the drive making some type of noise, and pushing eject does nothing. Resetting the computer does nothing. You have to turn off the computer and turn it on again just to eject the cd.

The computer reads the windows install cd just fine with windows running. If I restart the computer with the cd already in the tray and closed, windows will boot right up through and ignore the cd all together (remember that it's set as first boot priority). In order to get the computer to even attempt reading the cd, I have to put the cd in the tray and close it immediately after pressing the restart button. After a few of the manufacturer's screens pass, it goes to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. This is where you can hear the cd drive "cycling", like it's trying to do something but it's not spinning the cd really. It stays on this screen indefinitely doing nothing.

First of all, I need to figure out what the hell is going on with my cd-rom drive. Secondly, is there any way to replace the ntdll.dll file WITHOUT using the windows disk?

Wow, no responses. I had to reinstall windwos again for the 1000th ****ing time. Sometimes I just want to strangle my computer. Still getting the BSOD after a fresh install, but I guess that's another thread.

Bug Check 0x77: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR (Windows Debuggers)

The KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000077. This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

Important Info If You Have Received a STOP Code

If you received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. If your copy of Windows came with your computer, call the manufacturer of your computer. If you purchased Windows separately from your computer, Microsoft provides support. To find contact info for Microsoft or your computer manufacturer, Contact Support.
If you have experience with computers and want to try to recover from this error, follow the steps provided in the Microsoft article Resolving STOP (Blue Screen) Errors in Windows.

These actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:
Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
Scan your computer for computer viruses.
Check your hard disk for errors.

Resolution

Resolving a bad block problem: If you can restart the computer after the error, Autochk runs automatically and attempts to map the bad sector to prevent it from being used anymore.
If Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, you can manually start the disk scanner. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart the computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the system because the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r.

Warning If your system partition is formatted with the FAT file system, the long file names that the Windows operating system uses might be damaged if you use Scandisk or another MS-DOS-based hard disk tool to verify the integrity of your hard disk drive from MS-DOS. Always use the version of Chkdsk that matches your version of the Windows operating system.

Resolving a defective hardware problem: If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on an SCSI disk, check the disk cabling and SCSI termination for problems.
Resolving a failing RAM problem: Run the hardware diagnostics that the system manufacturer supplies, especially the memory scanner. For more information about these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Check that all the adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device that is causing the error. You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS to try to resolve this error.

Make sure that the latest Windows Service Pack is installed.
If the preceding steps fail to resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can cause this error.

Resolving a virus infection: Check your computer for viruses by using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the Master Boot Record of the hard disk. All Windows file systems can be infected by viruses.

No you cant replace the ntdll.dll file without the disk. If your still getting BSoD's then 1 of 2 things.

1. Your system has bad drivers installed for XP and you need to find better drivers. They may not be the newest drivers out for your devices but anything that is more stable will be better.

2. You disk is flat out corrupted to begin with. If the install doesnt go through without any hitches and you have to stop at all during the install process, your media i corrupted. If it has been modified in any way from original MS standards, then that can also be your issue.

Back
Top Bottom