cd/dvd rw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercules_upw

Daemon Poster
i bought on of these:

NEC model # ND-3520A SV
heres a link

When im watching a DVD, the drive sounds like it is goung at maximum speed all the time. It never slows down to "normal" speed.

A similar thing happens when i start up my computer and there is a CD in the drive. It goes full speed for about 5 minutes before it finally slows down a little. this is before i try and access/use the CD in the drive.

i would like to be able to have the drive run at max for burning, but at minimum for reading. any ideas....?

It's not a huge issue, but it's a real annoying change from my whisper-quiet Sony. :confused:

I think you can adjust read and write speeds in control panel or something. But it might affect performance.

Im not sure but has it got anything to do with needing to be set to DMA mode not PIO mode?

haGGard said:
Im not sure but has it got anything to do with needing to be set to DMA mode not PIO mode?

I enabled DMA mode when i installed it. thanks for the reply. :)

The fix: unknown. I fired it up last night when i got home and it runs as expected. it now goes at normal speeds when running a DVD or CD. and hauls @$$ when burning. I guess it was just a bug.

What you need to do is adjust the "spinup" and "spindown"
durations if your drive supports it. You need to be careful because
making these adjustments can cause problems so follow the
instructions that come with the program.

Get Nero's CDSpeed and run the spinup/down test and go from
there. Good luck!!!

Version 4.00 released
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom