Catalytic Convertor Removal Kits??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Just had a new muffler put on my 1996 jeep cherokee. And the stock catalytic convertor is still on it, with 200,000 miles on it. Im 99% sure its clogged, because it makes a chugging and clunky sound when the car is running, and im sure its from pressure being built up and released through it at certain periods. A new one is 200 to have it put on and I dont have that kind of money for it right now. Does anyone know where I could find a kit, where i just cut the convertor off the exhaust system with a saw-zaw, and just replace it with a straight pipe in place of the catalytic convertor?

Hello,

I would check your local laws. This is highly ill advised. The converter is used for emissions and depeding on your state laws they might be required to be on the Jeep.

So by cutting it off and just going with a straight pipe you might make the Jeep illegal to drive and could end up in more trouble cause of it. Could cause it to fail inspection next time it comes up and then you wouldnt be able to drive it at all.

Cheers,
Mak

If you don't have an emissions testing requirement then just rip that hunk of crap outta there. :D That is what I did when the one on my truck fouled up.

The only problem with not having your own tools is typically a muffler shop won't do the work for you because it is against the local code. But they will sell you a flanged piece of pipe to slip in and weld up.

Get a measurement of the diameter of your exhaust pipe where the catalytic converter is and then figure out how long it needs to be to go in place of the cat. Go to the muffler shop and tell them you need a piece of pipe that will fit over the exaust in your specified length.

After that you just gotta take a sawszall and cut the cat out then slip the new piece of pipe in and have it welded up. Finding a friend that has a wire-feed welder would be your best bet.

I just recently had a new muffler put on, no welding just clamps. I found "Test Pipe" kits on ebay for my specified model of jeep and they include the pipe, and 2 clamps for installation.

I just recently had a new muffler put on, no welding just clamps. I found "Test Pipe" kits on ebay for my specified model of jeep and they include the pipe, and 2 clamps for installation.

They actually sell test pipes for Jeeps? lol

If they do then that would be the most "bolt on" way to go.

Using clamps would be fine though? Because, when I just had my new muffler put on, the shop didnt weld it, they used clamps aswell. Will carbon build ups just seal any small leaks in the clamped area???

if it's 99% clogged you can only make it go 5 miles per hour. something is just loose inside. my caddies is the same way. I will fix it eventually.

if you must fix it, take the pipe off. get an old long but small pipe and go inside of it and break everything inside. this should be done before you put a new muffler in. shake everything out and put it back on.

they can't tell what you did this way unless they do an emissions test. your state obviously don't do it or you would have not ask this question. I know that California does

Using clamps would be fine though? Because, when I just had my new muffler put on, the shop didnt weld it, they used clamps aswell. Will carbon build ups just seal any small leaks in the clamped area???

The SLP cat back exhaust on my mustang uses clamps at all the connections. No problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom