CAT5E or CAT6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obtruse_Man4

In Runtime
I'm looking at buying some ethernet cable for my network. I currently have 10/100 network, however I'll soon be upgrading to 1000. I can't find the speeds labeled on these bundles of cable, so not sure which one to buy. Does one of these support both speeds; so that I don't have to buy a different kind later?

is this for your home? cat6 in a home envirnment is expensive and a little overkill. cat5e supports 1000mbps. the differences between cat5e and cat6 are small. cat5e is cheaper. if you are going to be cutting the cable and making smaller cables out of a larger spool, make sure you go with stranded rj45 ends if you hav e stranded cable or solid rj45 ends if you have solid cable

Obtruse_Man4 said:
I'm looking at buying some ethernet cable for my network. I currently have 10/100 network, however I'll soon be upgrading to 1000. I can't find the speeds labeled on these bundles of cable, so not sure which one to buy. Does one of these support both speeds; so that I don't have to buy a different kind later?

Cat5 is maximum 100mbit and Cat6 is maximum 1000mbit so if you need the speed go for Cat6 (of course Cat6 is more pricey)

Elbatrop1 said:
Sorry, dude, Cat5e can do 1000mbps. Dont believe me? Look here and here.

I stand corrected, it is definitely faster than 100mbit.

I read the HP PDF and others and it seems to really just say that Cat5E works well with gbit products but I don't think it actually provides 1000mbit speeds unless I missed it.

http://www.theheadwaters.com/cables/faq.htm#1
(says 5e is 350mbit)

We can agree 5E is faster than 100mbit for sure and if 5e is cheaper than cat6 and 350mbit is faster enough then I would go 5e

Cheers

It kinda did:
First, most of the cabling installed inside buildings today is CAT-5 UTP, and 1000BASE-T will enable Gigabit Ethernet operation over this installed base.

There is no difference between the end-equipment that Cat5 and Cat6 plug into. They both use RJ-45 ends. Cat6 just uses shorter, stubbier plugs.

Elbatrop1 said:
It kinda did:

There is no difference between the end-equipment that Cat5 and Cat6 plug into. They both use RJ-45 ends. Cat6 just uses shorter, stubbier plugs.

http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/eac/knowledgebaseAnswer/0,295199,sid63_gci975086,00.html

First, CAT5e is rated to 350M and CAT6 is rated to 550M or 1000M depending on what your source is. Second, CAT5e is built with a 24-gauge wire whereas most CAT6 cabling is built with 23-gauge conductor wire. Finally, CAT6 is supposed to have improved performance and have greater immunity from noise and crosstalk

Ok, let's put this issue to rest :)
(originally I thought Cat5E was 100mbit but it is actually maximum 350mbit according to a few sources and Cat6 is actually 550 or 1000mbit depending on the conditions)

Ya, I dont mean to try to start an arguement with you:D

I kinda figured that the IEEE would be a trustworthy source...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom